Open all Messages in same Tab

BillW
3StarLounger

Open all Messages in same Tab

Post by BillW »

I'm using Thunderbird (ver .3.3) for my email handler on my PC. After I open one received message and then another one the first one remains open and the subsequent ones are all opened in separate tabs. I want to have only one open message tab/window and have each new opening replace the previous one. Hopefully someone will be able to steer me to the setting to do that.

Thanks,
Bill

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: Open all Messages in same Tab

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Bill, this is my TB page on my Win7 Home Prem 32bit Laptop, I have the same version of TB as you. I have included my settings on the View tab.
GB.png
RR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Thanks Roadrunner, I think I have the same settings that you have. When you click on one new message after the other do they all open up their own windows to display their contents or does each new one replace the previous one? Mine opens each message in a new window so if I receive 10 messages and click on them one after the other I will end up with 10 message windows open at the end. I don't like that. I want to end up with one message window open showing the last message read at the end. I feel sure it used to work that way before my old PC crashed.

Thanks,
Bill

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Bill, when I open a second or third message etc, it overwrites the previously displayed message.
Not that I think it will make a difference, but what addons do you use?
What is your version of Windows:
RR.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Roadrunner, I am using Windows 10 and I don't have any addons involved. I wouldn't expect those differences to make any difference in how the forum operates! I have been using these conditions for quite a while and I'm pretty confident they were present before the crash on the old PC and it worked the way yours does. I'll keep looking for a setting somewhere! Or, maybe someone who reads this post will suggest an answer to my question.

Thanks,
Bill

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

I also have TB latest portable version without addons. I forwarded some mail to it, then played with various settings trying to replicate your problem, but nothing changed.
Have you tried doing a clean reinstall after using Revo Uninstaller for example?
What is your email provider? I use Gmail.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

My email mailbox is at FastMail.com and I use Thunderbird as the local email interface on my PC. I'll try your suggestions of carefully uninstalling Thunderbird and starting over to see if that will clear up my problem.

Thanks,
Bill

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hello Bill,

I'm not using Thunderbird (though I used it on one PC years ago). I just checked the settings in a recent copy of the email client (60.3.3). Check this setting:

- Tools > Options.
- Select Display tab.
- Select Advanced tab.
- Check the radio button An existing message window.
20181216_A.png
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Bill, Argus has found your fix. Here it is in English.
03.png
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

:whisper: I could have done it in English, since I walked some extra steps and downloaded a fresh copy and installed it in a virtual machine to catch a screenshot. As an alternative I could have linked to support forum threads such as this one, or similar; but since software such as Thunderbird and Firefox changes settings every other month it's not always possible to trust support pages or forum threads picked at random, it seems. As a Pegasus Mail user I guess I'm one of less than twelve in the world, so you're either on your own or you know the other users by name. :laugh: Bit surprised the Lounge's "Thunderbird User Group" hasn’t joined in. :grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Pegasus Mail? That's a trip down memory lane - I didn't even know it still existed! I last used it sometime in the mid '90s, on MS-DOS... :laugh:
Is that there is a Windows version that is still being maintained! :thumbup:
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yes, I've been using it since then, the first half of the 90s. (It's version 4.7x now. (For Windows since around '93.) If the version number ever reaches two digits, Thunderbird et al will be four digits. :laugh:)
I've heard that Excel is still around. :grin: We've been using that one a bit longer.

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Thanks Argus and Roadrunner for your help. The last setting pointed out above does the trick and my problem is solved! :cheers: