Gmail now has predictive text

Rudi
gamma jay

Gmail now has predictive text

Post by Rudi »

Smart Compose, an "experimental feature" is now available in Gmail. Perfect for those two-finger typists... :thumbup:

To activate it, go to settings and access the General tab.
Check the box next to Experimental Access
Then make sure that "Writing suggestions on" is selected.

Note: If you don’t see either of these options try disabling and re-enabling the new Gmail interface. That seems to help.
20180511_316.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Gmail now has predictive text

Post by HansV »

On an Android phone, you can soon say "OK Google, write that e-mail and send it" and you won't have to worry about the phrasing yourself. Google has so much information about you that it knows which e-mail you want to write.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

So when do we get to say "OK Google, reply to Hans on the Lounge for me"?
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Probably in a two or three years, in Android Rolo or Snickers. The entire internet will then consist of Google talking to itself.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Ai Ai :drop:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

So, a new meaning to "check your email".
To see what your email client's been up to.

'Twasn't me, guv, 'twas me phone.

We'll soon need an app to keep an eye on the email client.
HansV wrote:[...] Google has so much information about you that it knows which e-mail you want to write.
The horror if it works when you compose your first mail with Gmail ...
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:    Smart Compose, an "experimental feature" is now available in Gmail. Perfect for those two-finger typists... :thumbup:
Writing as a two-fingered typist (each finger on a separate hand, i hasten to add), my speed of typing is not an issue. For 35+ years I have received comments on my typing speed.

I have a Moto-X Android 2smart phone that does this predictive text trick, and a mean trick it is.
The gizom/software really thinks it is smarter than me, and I have so often sent a Text Message only to realize in horror that the message came close to meaningless because of the "corrections" inserted without asking me.

I have since stopped using Messaging altogether.

One only has to look at the front page of any almost-respectable newspaper (such as The Toronto Star) to see the oncoming deluge of nonsense that has been passed by corrective software and automated spell-checkers.

I love computers and look forward to real AI, but right now we are in age equivalent to planes with parchment paper for wings, unrolled from dozens of tear-off canisters purchased from the local supermarket, used twice to bake ginger cookies and washed once before being stuck onto the wings.

So far no-one has tried to correct my use of Ludite (sic), but the day is coming ...

Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle