Email Contacts

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Email Contacts

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks,
until recently, I was using T Bird portable on my pc's. I was located on D: Drive with a shortcut on my desktop. This allowed me to do a System Back Up, make changes to TB and all would remain the same if I did a Restore.
Now I am using installed TB. If I do a Back Up the add a new contact then be forced to do a Restore, would the contacts remain the same. TB is not synced. I.E. if I open TB on my Laptop read a new message, then open TB on my Desktop, the new messages is not accessed.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Email Contacts

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from the Window 7 forum to the Other E-mail Clients forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Are you using IMAP George?
What is the difference between IMAP and POP3? With POP3 the emails that reach your mailserver are eventually downloaded to your computer and deleted from the server. With IMAP a copy of the emails are kept on the server. Moreover, all folders, including ones you create, are re-created on the server and all computers that access this IMAP account. Hence, your emails, including trash and sent mails, are always in sync.
Quote from: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-to ... computers/
Cheers, Claude.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

[quote="Claude"]Are you using IMAP George?
What is the difference between IMAP and POP3?
NO!, I am using POP3 i TB which is installed on both my pc's.
I have tried IMAP with my gmail account in the past and its not to my liking.
With POP3, any mail I access on one pc does not get shown on the other, therefore I don't have to remember if it was dealt with.
Any message accessed with POP3 gets archieved into Gmail's All Mail folder.
I can safely delete anything in TB on either pc knowing it is still in Gmail.
If I need access to my mail on someone else's pc I have the portable version on a thumb drive.
-
What I really wanted to know was, will all remain intact if I make changes ( I.E. CONTACTS) then restoring a system backup made previously.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If by system backup, you mean a backup of the operating system and installed programs, a system backup and restore should not affect your contacts, e-mail messages etc.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Hans, I use Acronis True Image Home using the 'One click' method which backs up everything on C: Drive
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thunderbird stores the address book in your user profile. Unless you have explicitly moved your profile, it resides on the C: drive, in C:\Users\<username>.
If you perform a complete disk restore, all changes to the C: drive since the backup was created will be lost, including newly added contacts.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

For more info, see Profile folder - Thunderbird.
Best wishes,
Hans

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

You don't need to use Portable TB to have your profile on a different drive, there's enough info in the article that Hans linked to show you to how to move your profile to your D:\ drive while leaving the program on C:\ .

Also look at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Hans & John, thank you, I now know to be very careful in saving my irreplaceable data.
I recently made a backup of D: Drive but only on my Laptop, so it will be past it's sell by date.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.