Strange Behavior with gmail.com in Thunderbird

BobH
UraniumLounger

Strange Behavior with gmail.com in Thunderbird

Post by BobH »

A couple of days ago, I changed a password on a google gmail account I use. Since then I've been getting a screen like the following presented.
gmail rev.GIF
I cannot make the screen stop appearing. I've closed the window and I've killed the process in Task Manager but over time it reappears. I'm really not sure what app is presenting it because it does not appear as a Firefox tab. I think it presented by Thunderbird, but the Task Manager line entry simply quotes the same text as appears on the object in the window presented.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you resolve it? How?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Strange Behavior with gmail.com in Thunderbird

Post by HansV »

Can you open Thunderbird? If so, try editing the account that connects to the Gmail account, or delete it, then create it from scratch.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

But why should it be necessary to do that after a password change? I'm asking because it might well have been something that I did that caused the problem and I would like to avoid same in future.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Because Thunderbird has stored your previous Gmail password, and will keep on trying to connect to Gmail using that password...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks to your suggestion, Hans, I think I solved the problem. I went back over the Settings for the account in question in Thunderbird. I also checked the Outgoing Server settings and discovered that there was no entry for the gmail server. I added it and the nagging window has not reappeared. I did not have to delete and re-establish the account in Thunderbird.

UPDATE:
My solution only seemed to work because it slowed down the appearance of the annoying prompt screen. If I clicked to retrieve all messages for all accounts, the screen would reappear and persist.

I wound up taking Hans' advice deleting and re-adding the qmail account. I still don't know why this is happening.
Last edited by BobH on 05 Oct 2017, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Maybe my report will help someone else in future.
:cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

I recently updated my Gmail password and never had any trouble with Thunderbird (portable version)
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.