Using Thunderbird with AT&T Internet Service

BobH
UraniumLounger

Using Thunderbird with AT&T Internet Service

Post by BobH »

Do any of my countrymen use AT&T Internet service and use Mozilla's Thunderbird Email Client?

If so, I have some questions as I'm running into problems trying to set up email accounts in Thunderbird using the att.net domain. I spent more than time than I like to mention on the phone with AT&T's support desk but did not resolve my problems, but I did get information and would like to verify if it is the same that you use.

In Thunderbird, when setting up a new account, in addition to providing the email address, one must provide the inbound and outbound server names in use by the ISP, type of server for both inbound and outbound, port number for each and security settings. I was given these values by Att support:
Inbound: server name=inbound.att.net; type=POP3; port number=995
Outbound: server name=outbound.att.net; type=SMTP; port number=465
Security setting=SSL

If those values are different from what you use successfully, I'd be obliged to know what settings you use.

When I try to set up an account in Thunderbird under Windows 7, I enter those values along with my name as shown to the world; but I get an error response when it tests their validity. The error message reads: "Username or password invalid." I've been through several iterations of this process being very careful to type values in correctly. I know that the user name and password are correct because I use them to log into AT&T accounts; however, I am yet to receive an email on my iPad where that account is set up. Because I cannot set it up on the desktop Windows system in Thunderbird, I cannot use that platform to verify entries.

It may be that the email address and password are set up differently in the AT&T mail servers, but I cannot seem to get my dilemma understood by their support personnel. Further complicating the issue is the fact that on my iPad I have no problems with AT&T recognizing my email address; but on the Windows based system when I try to log into att.net then choose myat&t and respond to the login screen, I use the same email address (ID) and password but their system says that the email address cannot be found on their system.

I've torn out what little was left of my hair trying to get this resolved. I think a large part of the problem is a verbal communications disconnect between me and AT&T tech support. It might also be that my limited experience with, and knowledge of the iPad set up options is an issue.

Any assistance will be gratefully received and greatly appreciated.
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Using Thunderbird with AT&T Internet Service

Post by viking33 »

The only thing I can offer as help(?) is that I use Verizon with TBird. All my settings are identical as yours except of course, instead of AT&T.net, I have Verizon.net.
Not much help but it's a start?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: Using Thunderbird with AT&T Internet Service

Post by Roderunner »

Hi BobH, I use Gmail in TB portable version and have to allow connection in a less secure email system, according to Google.
I would also try compacting all TB folders from the 'File' menu.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.