Thunderbird And Its Search Function

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Thunderbird And Its Search Function

Post by Bigaldoc »

I still use TB 2.0.0.24 because I don't yet like version 3, so I don't know if this is true in the latest version. It HAS been there for many versions through the past.

When I search TB messages for a word in the body of a message, I'm always disappointed by the vast number of hits I get. Some (few) might contain the word but there will be a majority that DO NOT have the search word in the body.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a workaround?

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Thunderbird And Its Search Function

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:I still use TB 2.0.0.24 because I don't yet like version 3, so I don't know if this is true in the latest version. It HAS been there for many versions through the past.

When I search TB messages for a word in the body of a message, I'm always disappointed by the vast number of hits I get. Some (few) might contain the word but there will be a majority that DO NOT have the search word in the body.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a workaround?
Al,
I use version 3.04 which seems to work fine but I don't often use the search function in it. I just now tried a few searches for miscellaneous things and it seemed to be on target and always picked up on the subject matter as it should.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote: Al,
I use version 3.04 which seems to work fine but I don't often use the search function in it. I just now tried a few searches for miscellaneous things and it seemed to be on target and always picked up on the subject matter as it should.
I'm still reluctant to try version 3.0.4 because no one has commented on two of my three problems with 3.x when it first came out. I think I even made a post addressed to you that you never answered.

The TB 3.x left pane didn't show the number of messages in each folder and it COULD be fixed by hacking which I didn't think I should have to do.

One of my TB addons called Slideshow no longer worked in 3.x but I see just now that it now says 3.0.* so maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. It's pretty important to me 'cause I get a lot of messages with pix attached and Slideshow makes it SO EASY to view them in the email.

And last but not least, none of you will know the answer to this since there are (to my knowledge) only two of here who use the old, old Smiley Pad, which no longer worked in version 3.0.2

I wish I had the b**ls to give it a try but I don't want to lose all my years of emails by playing. Maybe sometime right after a full backup...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hey Big Al!

I use TB 3.0.4. I get the number of messages in each folder that have been unread. Is there a way to attach a screenshot to a post here?

Got the pic but don't know why it's so fuzzy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

BobH wrote:Got the pic but don't know why it's so fuzzy.
For screenshots, the .png or .gif format usually works better than .jpg.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH wrote:I use TB 3.0.4. I get the number of messages in each folder that have been unread.
In addition to the fuzziness, I only see one place where a "number" is showing. This is the way 2.x TB shows the left pane. If any are unread the number will be bold:
2010-06-09_065800.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I too am still on TB 2 (.0.0.23 in my case, our IT people won't let us use TB3 because something breaks somewhere).

In TB 2 the style of display of how many messages are in a folder is set by the button in the top right of the folder pane, see first attached pic, to the right of the column headed 'Total'.

If you don't see the column headers in the folder pane then click Tools | Option and on the Advanced tab tick the 'Show expanded columns in the folder pane' option, second attached pic.

I'd be very surprised if this functionality has been lost in TB 3 but may be you have to resort to the Config Editor? In TB 2 that's also available via Tools | Options, Advanced, you can see the button twards the bottom right of in the second attachement.

Any of this any use?

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

stuck wrote:I'd be very surprised if this functionality has been lost in TB 3 but may be you have to resort to the Config Editor?
In the early releases of TB 3 it WAS gone. You could "hack" it back but I don't know about the Config editor, didn't try that.

I was annoyed at what was only one of a few "takeaways" without any mention of WHY! I was a matter of principle with me - I shouldn't have to hack around to get so useful a function back. So, I went back to 2.x and have not tried 3.0.4 (yet).

I do have that button activated. See attached.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:
I'm still reluctant to try version 3.0.4 because no one has commented on two of my three problems with 3.x when it first came out. I think I even made a post addressed to you that you never answered.
Sorry, must have missed that post. Where is\was it?
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:
Bigaldoc wrote:
Sorry, must have missed that post. Where is\was it?
It was over in WS but dammit I can't find it anymore. Not worth the work. I'll just have to make up my mind whether to try it or not AFTER I do a full backup this weekend so I can recover if it still won't handle my pet things.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Al, your adventures with Thunderbird 3 are described in Thunderbird 3 released on WSL, but Bob wasn't involved in that thread...
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

HansV wrote:Al, your adventures with Thunderbird 3 are described in Thunderbird 3 released on WSL, but Bob wasn't involved in that thread...
Yeah, I visited that thread and saw his "absence" but I was positive there was a thread where I asked him about the number of messages in the left pane. I don't think I dreamed that up but it's just not worth digging any more for.

I'll give the latest TB a try this Saturday AFTER I make a backup and AFTER the USA whips England's butts in the first round of the World Cup! :flee:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:
HansV wrote:Al, your adventures with Thunderbird 3 are described in Thunderbird 3 released on WSL, but Bob wasn't involved in that thread...
Yeah, I visited that thread and saw his "absence" but I was positive there was a thread where I asked him about the number of messages in the left pane. I don't think I dreamed that up but it's just not worth digging any more for.

I'll give the latest TB a try this Saturday AFTER I make a backup and AFTER the USA whips England's butts in the first round of the World Cup! :flee:
Whatta you mean by "saw my absence?" :hmmn: :invisible:
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:
Bigaldoc wrote:

Whatta you mean by "saw my absence?" :hmmn: :invisible:
Means it was the only thread I could find and you weren't there to comment as I thought you were. Relax Bob, I can't find it so it was my boo-boo.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

This is what my 3.0.4 Tools/Options/Attachments screen looks like. You can see in the left panel that the unread posts are shown in bold type in parentheses after the folder name. I know of know no way to make the counts appear in manner shown in Big Al's pic.

Pic is PNG file of 101KB. Doesn't look any better to me than the JPG.
Last edited by BobH on 10 Jun 2010, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I'm always relaxed, Al. I was just giving you a little bit of a hard time. I knew what you meant. :grin:
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH wrote:... I know of know way to make the counts appear in manner shown in Big Al's pic.
In the WS thread that Hans referenced above you'll see that I discovered a "hack" to bring back the total message count via an addon.

Well, in preparation for giving version 3 a re-try on Saturday, I just discovered that the addon now seems to have been updated for version 3 here: Extra Folder Columns :: Add-ons for Thunderbird

I also saw that my other favorite TB addon (Slideshow) has been updated also. Maybe I won't have to abandon it this time. I hope so, 'cause I really like Thunderbird.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:
BobH wrote:... I know of know way to make the counts appear in manner shown in Big Al's pic.
In the WS thread that Hans referenced above you'll see that I discovered a "hack" to bring back the total message count via an addon.

Well, in preparation for giving version 3 a re-try on Saturday, I just discovered that the addon now seems to have been updated for version 3 here: Extra Folder Columns :: Add-ons for Thunderbird

I also saw that my other favorite TB addon (Slideshow) has been updated also. Maybe I won't have to abandon it this time. I hope so, 'cause I really like Thunderbird.
Al,
I installed that add on you referred to and this is what I get. I THINK it is what you are looking to do?
Capture2.PNG
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:I installed that add on you referred to and this is what I get. I THINK it is what you are looking to do?
Doesn't quite look like what I'm used to in the 2.x version. See this screenshot. I don't care about "KB" but the number of total messages and (bold) how many are unread.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Big Al!

I installed the extension on 3.0.4. It gives up to 3 columns of data: Number Unread; Number of Posts; and size of all posts in KB. You can choose which columns to show. The number unread is not in bold face but it is easy enough to see. I chose to show the unread and total posts columns in my folders pane.

I'd post a screenshot but it seems I don't know how to do it without getting the fuzzywuzzies.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)