No BCC option?!!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

No BCC option?!!

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Please see also an associated thread “Paranoia – Spam and CC vs. BCC

So I sat with the offender and suggested the use of BCC. His reply “I don’t have that as an option on my mail!”.
(This post will be signed “Staggered” of Toronto)

When I started using email at I.P.Sharp & Associates in Toronto back in 1985, their proprietary mail system offered BCC. I know that because we played Allan B Callhamer’s “Diplomacy” by email and used the BCC option.
I am pretty sure that Bulletin Board System did not have BCC but then Bulletin Board System were public pin-up boards, not email systems.

I have taught email systems off and on since around 1993, including QMail (for Windows and Mac), and the three major office suites, and I have used clients like Thunderbird and its precursors since I began using internet on Windows system. (Some Bulletin Board System supported internet email but I think that that was, by definition, always private email)

I can’t ever recall a system that did not support BCC.

Is my colleague ignorant or purposely hiding behind a veil of ignorance?
To me it is unbelievable that in this day and age there is an email system that does not support BCC.

signed “Staggered” of Toronto
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: No BCC option?!!

Post by HansV »

Do you know which e-mail client the 'offender' uses?

In Microsoft Outlook, for example, the BCC box is available but not shown in a new installation. You have to click the BCC button on the Options tab of the ribbon in a new e-mail message to display it. After that, it will remain visible.
S0887.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: No BCC option?!!

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Do you know which e-mail client the 'offender' uses?
No. As our conversation pro regressed, we moved further and further away from the sanity of the client to the sanity of the participants :woefulgrin:
In Microsoft Outlook, for example, the BCC box is available but not shown in a new installation.
Quite so, and a similar situation arises in, say Gmail on whatever outdated version of Firefox I am using.
But the Offender stated up front that he had been working in communications "for a long time now", which I took to mean before 1985 (grin) and so when he said straight off "My email client doesn't support it" I felt Sooooo tempted to call him on it.
Indeed he reminded me of a now-ex-client who phoned me for help in MSWord and when I suggested supplying some training he countered with "I've been using MSW for 20 years now; I think I've got a pretty good grip on it" which left me wondering why he had called me.
I had but 18.5 years experience at the time :extremelymaliciousgrin:.

Back to the topic.
Hans, your reply has confirmed my belief that for practical purposes ALL email clients and platforms support BCC, and that the Offender (I'll stick with your family-board-oriented terminology) was talking through 'is *&% 'at.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace