Kill email virus

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Kill email virus

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I've caught a virus on my (other) computer that is sending out emails via my Yahoo contacts.
I've scanned with Microsoft Essentials, a system called OneCare and a product from Micro Trends but
they each deny any infection.
Could someone recommend a product that might kill this virus? Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Kill email virus

Post by HansV »

Do you have proof that the e-mails are really being sent from your computer?
If you're getting notifications that e-mails have been sent from your e-mail address, it may well be that they are actually being sent from another computer.

Which firewall are you using?
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I have a list of emails in my Sent folder. I run Windows Essentials all the time but not a Firewall.

I notice the sent emails have a link to a site at 'sites.google.com/site/..'. Seems odd that the virus seems
to refer to a google site. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (get the free version, it's fully functional).

If you're running Windows 7, and haven't installed a firewall yourself, you're running the Windows firewall. By default, this checks incoming traffic only, but you can configure it to monitor outgoing traffic too. Windows 7 Firewall Control lets you configure this (there is a free version).
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi.
I'll try that anti-malware when I get home.
I'm using Windows Vista and I'll try and configure the firewall.
Thanks, Andy.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You can also manage what is starting when you boot the PC by using Autoruns for Windows or WhatInStartup - Disable/delete programs at Windows startup. Both are free. If you are unsure of one or more entries post back.

Note: Autoruns produces an enormous amount of information. To start with you should be interested in the Logon tab.

Joe
Joe

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I tried all these. I can't see anything odd in the Logon tab of AutoRuns and the anti-malware app doesn't report anything wrong.
I get email failure notifications, identifying that emails failed to send at 3.40 in the morning. Although I'm notified of failed sendings
some emails are being sent.
I've now got Komodo Firewall running. Are these emails perhaps not originating from my computer? Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If the e-mails appear in your Sent Messages folder, they have been sent from your computer.
If, however, you get delivery failure notifications of e-mails purporting to be from you that can't be found in your Sent Messages folder, it's more likely that those e-mails are being sent out from another computer. This could be a spammer's computer, or an infected computer. Even if you could trace where they originate, there is very little you can do about such e-mails. The organizations behind them are often in a country with little respect for our laws...
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. They're not in my sent mail. Will changing my password help? Otherwise I might have to close my email account?! Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Andy,

If they're not in your Sent Items (or similar) folder, they're most probably being sent from another computer. Someone got hold of your e-mail address (which isn't very difficult) and is spoofing it in messages from another computer.

Changing your password or closing your e-mail account won't help - the other computer will still be able to fake your e-mail address. The only effect of closing your e-mail account would be that you wouldn't receive delivery failure notifications anymore.

In my experience (it's happened to me too), the problem will probably go away by itself eventually, as the spammer gets hold of new e-mail addresses to (ab)use.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you. As you suggest, hopefully this will go away! Andy.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It is is of any consolation, my work email address (which gets used to reach people all over the world and so has ended up on all sorts of insecure PCs) regularly gets spoofed. So much so, I even get messages 'from' myself to myself trying to sell me stuff. :laugh:

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:...I even get messages 'from' myself to myself trying to sell me stuff
Do you ever buy the stuff? Or don't you trust yourself?
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:Do you ever buy the stuff? Or don't you trust yourself?
Funnily enough, I've never been tempted by anything on offer :grin:

Ken