Thunderbird not putting deleted items in Trash Folder

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Thunderbird not putting deleted items in Trash Folder

Post by viking33 »

My quirky Thunderbird is giving me another minor problem.
If I delete an email or anything stored in offline folders, it no longer sends them to the Trash Folder first. It just blows them away without any second chance to restore them, if need be. It had been acting fine up until recent updates. I'm drawing a blank in not seeing a setting to change or a way to correct this. :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: Thunderbird not putting deleted items in Trash Folder

Post by jonwallace »

I don't know if you've fixed this, but if you look at Tools->Account settings, then look in Server Settings for the account playing up (for an IMAP account) or Copies and Folders (POP account) you can check what the program thinks it's supposed to be doing with deleted stuff.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jonwallace wrote:I don't know if you've fixed this, but if you look at Tools->Account settings, then look in Server Settings for the account playing up (for an IMAP account) or Copies and Folders (POP account) you can check what the program thinks it's supposed to be doing with deleted stuff.
Thanks, John.
I was able to finally get that problem squared away but still have the one about receiving duplicate emails, not all, just some randomly ( seemingly ) showing up. I went through the agony of calling Verizon but did nothing more than jacking up my blood pressure trying to talk to one of the most impolite, annoying "service techs" I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
These duplicates seem to be exactly the same, with same addresses, date and time stamp, no attachments and all? Has me really scratching around for answers, including some time at the Thunderbird forums and googling, etc. Running the latest TB version, tried running without add- ons and a few other wild stabs that didn't work. I receive only one copy in my Spam filter but get two copies in TB. :scratch:
I hesitate to try disabling the Spam Filter but maybe that's my next attempt.
BOB

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I don't think the issue of duplicate emails is a Thunderbird thing. It's Just Something That HappensTM.

I get duplicates on random occasions from my son when he uses his smart phone to email me. TB is not involved.

At work our db sends auto-emails all over the world (no I'm not a secret spammer, these are genuine emails e.g. order confirmations). One of our overseas agents often complains these arrive in duplicate but other agents do not get them in duplicate. Again TB is not involved anywhere.

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Maybe scanning through this email will reveal something?\
Duplicate messages received

And if that does not help...maybe this add-on :grin:
Remove duplicate messages
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hi stuck,
I disagree that this isn't a TB problem but thank you for your input.
These dups come in more than just occasionally and I can replicate the problem just by sending test emails to myself. Sometimes they appear twice, sometimes only once I have checked into my friendly Verizon account and only one message shows up in there and I don't save emails on their server.
Something really weird is going on in TB. I have tried a new profile but it seems when I restore my old messages and contact list etc from MozBackup the problem does seem to reappear. ( I don't restore the old settings, just the other data. )
I HAVE to be missing something when restoring TB?
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Rudi wrote:Maybe scanning through this email will reveal something?\
Duplicate messages received

And if that does not help...maybe this add-on :grin:
Remove duplicate messages
Thanks for those Links, Rudi. I have already tried some of those suggestions but will have to dig a little deeper and try the others.
See my post to Stuck for other trials.
BTW, I don't have any problem deleting those dups, just receiving them. :sad:
BOB

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

viking33 wrote:I HAVE to be missing something when restoring TB?
Perhaps but here's an idea that might allow you to get a really clean re-install.

First back-up all your mail using this application:
http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx
Then use Revo to ensure the TB uninstall is as thorough as posible
(I'd reboot at this point)
Install TB
Test TB's behaviour, hopefully all will be well as it should be all brand new.
Only after you are sure that TB is behaving properly, start to restore your mail from MailStore home.

By using MailStore Home as the back-up/restore procedure you will be removing any potential sources of corruption in your TB mail. I know from personal use that MailStore Home can back up and restore things quickly and efficiently and for home use it is :free: I used it to sort out the transfer of a lot of TB mail into Outlook 2007.

Hope this helps.

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

stuck wrote:
viking33 wrote:I HAVE to be missing something when restoring TB?
Perhaps but here's an idea that might allow you to get a really clean re-install.

First back-up all your mail using this application:
http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx
Then use Revo to ensure the TB uninstall is as thorough as posible
(I'd reboot at this point)
Install TB
Test TB's behaviour, hopefully all will be well as it should be all brand new.
Only after you are sure that TB is behaving properly, start to restore your mail from MailStore home.

By using MailStore Home as the back-up/restore procedure you will be removing any potential sources of corruption in your TB mail. I know from personal use that MailStore Home can back up and restore things quickly and efficiently and for home use it is :free: I used it to sort out the transfer of a lot of TB mail into Outlook 2007.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Certainly worth a try, Ken. Thanks.
Do you know if it also backs up address book and contacts lists or just emails in TB?
BOB

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

viking33 wrote:Do you know if it also backs up address book and contacts lists or just emails in TB?
Sorry, no idea on that. I only needed to rescue a large amount of old mail from a set of TB folders and get them into Outlook. MailStore Home did it painlessly.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Creating a backup of all data associated with Thunderbird is as easy as making a copy of the folder

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Thunderbird

for Windows XP, or

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird

for Windows Vista and later. But of course, if your profile is corrupt, a straight copy will not repair that...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:Creating a backup of all data associated with Thunderbird is as easy as making a copy of the folder
True but I suggested this route via an intermediate format as a means of cleaning up any corruption within the original TB folders.

The reason I used MailStore for my TB to Outlook transfer was because all though everything looked OK in TB the magic our IT people used get stuff into Outlook was not brilliant and some folders ended up with all the messages concatenated into one huge message. MailStore did not screw up like that. It read the TB folders into an archive that I could browse and restore form at as I chose. The restore to Outlook always gave correct results.

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I followed Ken's suggestion and TOTALLY ( I think ) uninstalled\deleted TB, even going into Regedit to dump any reference to TB.
Created a new profile. I now have a terrible looking bare bones version, so I'll try it for a few days to see what happens, then start to gradually add my add-ons and hope for some degree of success. Why do I not feel confident?
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dare I say that I THINK I stumbled on the solution to both duplicate emails AND sent message copies being saved in the Sent folder??????
I believe that it was due to both TB and my Spam Filter, not "talking to each other."
Normally, when emails are sent or received, they filter through my Spam Filter and are marked as Read or Sent when the filter OKs them. I noticed this was not happening on all messages. Just why, I don't know.
So in the case of getting duplicates, TB would not see the Read marker and would think it was a new message and pass it along to the TB mailbox.
Similarly, sending the message was OK but it couldn't recognize just where the Sent folder was located.
I hope I'm making some sense here trying to explain this anomoly?
Therefore, it seems my completely uninstalling and re-installing BOTH the Spam program and TB with a new profile, has hopefully cured this strange problem!!!!! :clapping: :cheers: :grin: :thankyou: :thankyou: :smile:
BOB