TB new account doesn't accept my outgoing setting

DollyP
Lounger

TB new account doesn't accept my outgoing setting

Post by DollyP »

I'm trying to move from Outlook to Thunderbird (so I can dual boot to Win7/Linux and receive emails in both). It seems that in TB it is not possible to set up a new account manually. Using the wizard TB does not allow me to change the outgoing server from smtp and thus it fails to test my settings and let me save the new account.

I have my own domain (www dot something dot com) but I use O2 as my ISP, and it requires me to use an outgoing address relay.o2broadband.co.uk. So in the wizard I can't change the smtp bit to relay.

I've found quite a few tutorials but they are all either too old or require an account to be set up using the wizard before the outgoing can be changed. Can anyone point me to anything that might help?

Regards
David

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: TB new account doesn't accept my outgoing setting

Post by jonwallace »

Hi,

Try going through the config wizard (it helped when I put a genuine email address in), accept all the defaults, then put in a dummy password (untick "remember" box) then click done. It'll churn away for a bit then say "configuration could not be verified etc"

Then click the "advanced config" button. You should now have an account in the account manager that you can play about with to your heart's content.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

DollyP
Lounger

Post by DollyP »

Thanks for your response John. What a crazy way of doing things. I've done as you suggested and was able to get an account set up. I've changed all the settings to match those in Outlook but am not receiving emails due to an error message "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.lochnevis.com responded: Login failed". I know my password! Any suggestions?

Regards
David

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

DollyP wrote:Thanks for your response John. What a crazy way of doing things.
I agree, it used to be much easier before they "helped" by looking for your settings for you. I suppose with the big email providers, the wizard actually works, but not for us people who have things a little non-standard.
DollyP wrote: I've done as you suggested and was able to get an account set up. I've changed all the settings to match those in Outlook but am not receiving emails due to an error message "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.lochnevis.com responded: Login failed". I know my password! Any suggestions?
I would fiddle with the security settings. My POP accounts are set as "None" and "password transmitted insecurely" (although I don't remember setting them that way), and my IMAP accounts are set as "SSL/TLS" and "normal password".

Just a thought, if you stored the password when you set up the account, you may want to delete it (in Tools->options->security->passwords->saved passwords) and try again.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

DollyP
Lounger

Post by DollyP »

Hi John

Finally got it sorted, thanks. Not quite sure what it was that finally got it working. Hell of a difficult job if you ask me, but TB is about the only email program that works in both Win and Linux. Now to get the profile somewhere that it can be shared ...

Regards
David