Thunderbird emails

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Thunderbird emails

Post by viking33 »

Using TB 17.0.3
This just started recently. When I send an Email, I get the message, successfully sent message but the Progress bar runs on forever.
Email message.JPG
If I click cancel then I get the second message.
Email 2.JPG
I get rid of the message clicking OK and the email is sent OK?

:scratch: Ideas?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Thunderbird emails

Post by BobH »

Are you sending attachments?

I didn't understand your last sentence. Are you asking if (or stating that) the email is sent OK?

You should be able to test it by sending mail to yourself.

I am running the same version but have not experienced this problem yet.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Are you sending attachments?

I didn't understand your last sentence. Are you asking if (or stating that) the email is sent OK?

No attachments being sent.
It is sending them OK despite what the message says. I have verified this by sending myself a test message.
It's just a never ending progress bar and then the "error" message, which seems to be an error in itself?
BOB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

viking33 wrote:
BobH wrote:Are you sending attachments?

No attachments being sent.
It is sending them OK despite what the message says. I have verified this by sending myself a test message.
It's just a never ending progress bar and then the "error" message, which seems to be an error in itself?
Hmmmmmmm!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I can't duplicate the problem and have no idea which of your TB settings might be outta whack.

It sounds however like it's some setting of the OUTGOING server. You might have to mess around with the port number or ... (???)

I've run it for so long, I have no recollection of why my TB sez the default is 587 !!! Huh ???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Heeeyyy Bob, I just thought of another test. I used the Walnut theme for a long time as it appears you do. I'd have to search this forum to remember why I did it, but I dumped the Walnut for a problem it seemed to be causing.

Easy test to try changing to TB default theme and see if the problem goes away.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:Heeeyyy Bob, I just thought of another test. I used the Walnut theme for a long time as it appears you do. I'd have to search this forum to remember why I did it, but I dumped the Walnut for a problem it seemed to be causing.

Easy test to try changing to TB default theme and see if the problem goes away.
Tried to go to default theme and send but same results. Went back to Walnut.
Checked the port settings default was and is 25.
Did receive a different error message that MAY be a clue?
Checked "save to" and it seems OK, trying to save to Local Folders/Sent?
MAILERROR.JPG
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've used Thunderbird ever since the very first edition and I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I have no idea what the purpose of "local folders" is. It's there, in my account tree in the left pane, but I've never used it.

Looks like you need to change that setting, huh? Especially if a person (like me) has several email accounts. You want the sent emails going to the Sent folder in that account, don't you, not Local Folders?

Good luck with it.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

I think the idea is that local folders consolidate all your mail. I have several accounts and have several uses for those accounts. All my mail arrives in inbox on local folders, then filter rules shuffle the mails to where they need to go. I see your point re sent mail going to its own folder, but actually, the only time I go to my sent mail is to resend last times prescription requests to my GP surgery (using edit as new), in which case I do mine and the good lady's from the one sent box, and it's handy.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

To each his own, right John?

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

absolutely
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Still trying to repair this TB problem.
Even went to the TB help forum, where a couple of suggestions were presented but to no avail yet. Uninstalled and reinstalled TB but didn't change anything. Now I'm left with a barebones copy without my old email folders. Going bad to worse, I think?
Anyway to import the old setup? I really don't want to use an old TI image to revert the entire HD and TB apparently has files scattered all over the place.
BOB

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

viking33 wrote:... Anyway to import the old setup? I really don't want to use an old TI image to revert the entire HD and TB apparently has files scattered all over the place.
A first step could be to locate the profile folder for Thunderbird; if the location has not been changed it should be in the default place.

C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile name>\

One can, for example, open up a run box, Winkey-R, type and run: %APPDATA% to quickly navigate to the parent folder, Roaming. Several important files of course, and there should be sub-folders, such as Mail.

Usually when I do similar things with my e-mail client, not TB, upgrades etc. I create a fresh, simple, zip-file backup, just in case, so that I don't have to rely on backups of the system and data partitions, or create new images just for a small software upgrade.

So if you have a recent image you should be able to mount it and copy just the folder you want, to some place, and then when you are ready, replace the profile.

Take a look at the "Manually back up the profile" & "Manually restore the profile" sections of this page:
Profile backup - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

It also links to a page with some details about the profile folder, how to find it, different files in the profile etc.
Profile folder - Thunderbird - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Came to think about another possibility.

I have not been using TB in a long time. It is possible that your old profile is still there, but that the install process created a new, empty, profile (somehow; I would have guessed that it asked during the installation).

So, the first step, I think, is still to naviagate to ...Thunderbird\Profiles\ and check if there are more than one. I guess one can still use the profilemanager switch or something similar to point TB to the correct profile. I.e. running:
thunderbird.exe -profilemanager
Profile Manager - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Or, simply just move the mail to the new profile, as people do when moving from a corrupt profile.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hi Argus,
Thanks for the tips regarding the Profile.
I must have been on the same wavelength last night.
I did wander into the profile.ini file and found that it was pointing to a different location. I edited that to point to the proper place where the TB original files were and that corrected the missing folders and emails not showing up.

HOWEVER, I still have the first problem of TB not saving a copy of outgoing emails to the "Save" folder? I think I have tried most all possible settings in the Accounts Settings> Copies & Folders tab to no avail.
This is what the .ini file looks like now. I was wondering about the other profile settings and if they should be 1 or 0? Perhaps some TB user can check their profile settings so I can compare them?
------------------------------------
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=0
Path=M:\Thunderbird\Profiles\ :censored: .default
---------------------------------

Meanwhile, the mystery continues!
BOB

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

My profile.ini looks like

Code: Select all

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/********.default
I think the IsRelative=1 bit means that I don't have to have a full path to my profile.

As regards the saving to sent. The attached shows my current settings, the bottom is, IIRC, the settings I had to use at work to compensate for the fact that my TB profile was not on C:\
Untitled 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

― Teddie O. Rahube

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:jollyroger: (Completely off-topic: the name "sostherope" sparked a vague memory. I had to Google it to find out what it referred to. It must be 40 years ago that I read that book!)
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

John,
Your first screenshot is what I SHOULD be using but my only options are either Local Folders or Set on Local Folders. Attempting to set in any combination of either does change a thing. Still won't save? This is getting frustrating!!!!
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Sorry I don't remember, Bob, but do you have more than one email account setup in TB?

I have four (ISP, my web domain, Yahoo and Gmail). For each one I get this. I'm afraid I'm lost on what your problem is.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:Sorry I don't remember, Bob, but do you have more than one email account setup in TB?

I have four (ISP, my web domain, Yahoo and Gmail). For each one I get this. I'm afraid I'm lost on what your problem is.
Only one email client,Al.
Verizon
BOB