Is this a virus or some type of hacking???

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Is this a virus or some type of hacking???

Post by ABabeNChrist »

For about a week I have experienced some unusual occurrences within in email box (yahoo). First it seems that I get emails from people I know (even from one of my other personal email addresses) with no message or title, only an internet link within email (of course I have never clicked on). Also in my in-box I seem to receive numerous MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com, titled “failed notice”. I’m concerned this maybe some type of virus, I currently have Norton Internet Security and have all the current updates and have run full scans, but nothing comes up. Has anyone experienced this or know what it may be, I know it’s not normal.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Is this a virus or some type of hacking???

Post by HansV »

If your computer is clean, and if you don't notice a high level of outgoing data traffic from your computer, the problem is probably elsewhere and out of your control.
My guess is that the computer of somebody else who has your e-mail address in their contacts has been infected, and that that computer is (a) sending you spam messages with the e-mail addresses in their contacts as sender, and (b) sending out spam messages to others with your e-mail address as sender; if the latter bounce, you receive the failure notifications.

This has happened to me in the past, and to several other Loungers. Unless you can trace the messages to an acquaintance, there's nothing you can do about it. It usually tapers off, then stops after a few days.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thanks Hans I’ll see what happens in the next week or so. I thought it might have been some type of virus. :flee:

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I mean to be careful with this statement since I'm a big user of Yahoo sports stuff, but Yahoo seems to be prone to this type of hacking. As Hans suggests, it'll probably taper off, but I'd still go and change your Yahoo password just for the heck of it.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thanks Al that’s a great idea, I just hope I don’t forget my new passwordssssss for all my email address :hairout:

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ABabeNChrist wrote:I just hope I don’t forget my new passwordssssss for all my email address :hairout:
To avoid premature baldness, try Password Safe :grin:

Ken

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

The problem seems to be gone (at least at this point)
I ran my Norton’s full system scan; there were a couple issues that were corrected and I changed my passwords. :crossfingers: