How to Move Mozilla 'Stuff' to Another Machine

BobH
UraniumLounger

How to Move Mozilla 'Stuff' to Another Machine

Post by BobH »

Normally, I would be asking this question on the Mozilla Forums but for some reason they are having problems with their login methodology today. After exceeding the allowed number of tries without having to use Captcha, I reset my password and tried a least a half dozen more logins . . . all without success. So, here I am to bother you good folks with my question.

During the couple of months that I was in the process of trying to breathe life back into my old P4 desktop - and giving up in despair, and building the new system - I used SWMBO's desktop. I created my email accounts on that machine and now want to move them to my new machine. I know that this is possible but I cannot remember the procedure. I think Mozilla has an app that one uses that both grabs the bits and then puts them on the other machine for you. Because I am unable to login at mozilla forums, I'm asking your for help.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: How to Move Mozilla 'Stuff' to Another Machine

Post by HansV »

The free MozBackup utility can be used to move Firefox and Thunderbird accounts to another PC.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

That's a nice app to try that Hans posted.

But, a year ago when I got my laptop, I did Firefox manually. I installed it and had it create a new profile.

Then, while it was shutdown, I manually copied all the files in my desktop profile to the laptop. Never did that with Thunderbird but would think it was the same.

Somewhere in the Firefox forum I got my initial tip (I think) from TonyE. But, here's a Mozilla page about it, which by the way mentions the app that Hans posted. So, it looks like that's the way to go.

Moving your profile folder - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the help!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs