Configuring a home account on a work PC?

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Configuring a home account on a work PC?

Post by Pilgrim »

It has been years since I did this and I can't remember how it is done. But I'm confident someone here can provide the necessary information.

Here's the scenario: I want to create an e-mail account (POP3) that uses our home DSL service on my wife's workstation where she works, which uses a totally different broadband service. She wants to be able to send and receive e-mails addressed to her 'home' account while at work using Outlook Express. She will, of course, enable the option to leave a copy on the server. The 'trick', if I remember correctly, is in the information typed in for the POP3 and SMTP fields to make it work.... assuming of course, it can be done at all. :)

TIA
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Configuring a home account on a work PC?

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Hans,

But I already wrote, "She will, of course, enable the option to leave a copy on the server." That has already been done. What I really need to know is how to configure the new account. Again, the work PC uses a totally different Internet Provider than what we have at home. I am assuming that if the account is configured exactly the way it is at home, it isn't going to work. IF it will, then there is nothing more that needs to be done. However, I suspect that the SMTP information will be different and will use the SMTP information that is for her work e-mail address????

Simply put... She wants to be able to send/receive e-mail using her home e-mail address on her work PC where they use a totally different Internet Provider and service. I would like to know how to configure the home account on this workstation (Outlook Express).

TIA
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry, I overlooked that.
Doesn't her home ISP provide a webmail interface?
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:Doesn't her home ISP provide a webmail interface?
To be honest, I'm not sure if we have Webmail or not. :scratch:

But what I do know is she doesn't want to have to open a browser and go to a webmail interface to be able to read those e-mails. The desire and ideal situation is to be able to simply receive and then send, if necessary, e-mails for her home address.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not sure that's possible - hopefully someone else will know.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:I'm not sure that's possible - hopefully someone else will know.
Maybe, all my worry is for nothing?? I remembered that she brings her Macbook Pro (laptop) to work and is able to send/receive e-mails on her 'home' account using a wireless connection sitting right at her desk. Soooooo, I've configured the new account on her Desktop work PC, which I happen to have here at home, with the default settings for the ISP we use here and Monday she'll find out if it still works. :laugh:
Jeff

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I do something very similar to this. My ISP provides two ways to use their SMTP servers. If you are connected via their network then you can use them without any additional charge. If you are connected via a different network then you have to pay for "authenticated SMTP" and use a username/password to connect to the SMTP servers.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

All I have used were the POP and SMTP settings that are needed from the email account. Then as StuartR stated, there may be the "authenticated SMTP" setting needs to be set in the "Server" tab of OE. This is done by adding the check to the "My sever requires authentication".
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Just a quick report back. The default configuration for the "home" e-mail account works just dandy from my wife's workplace. Image

Thanks for all the responses.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the feedback!
Best wishes,
Hans