Outlook Express And Compacting

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Outlook Express And Compacting

Post by Bigaldoc »

Another new event for me and I've NEVER used Outlook Express, nor is it my default email program.

In the past several days, whenever I reboot, I soon get a popup box onscreen from Outlook Express "offering" to save space by compacting messages. There aren't any messages to compact... What the ???

I've been through every screen in its Options and can't see any place to tell it NOT to give me that message.

Is it safe to REMOVE it in the Control Panel Windows Components selection? (see attached)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook Express And Compacting

Post by HansV »

If you don't use Outlook Express, it's entirely safe to remove it. It's merely an additional Windows component, not an essential one.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks Hans.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

HansV wrote:If you don't use Outlook Express, it's entirely safe to remove it. It's merely an additional Windows component, not an essential one.
If I should ever get a .eml file sent to me, it opens in Outlook Express, even though I use Outlook. What would happen if Outlook Express is removed?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

As I understand it, this 'feature', where OE offers to compact your mail, appeared with an update to XP no idea which one. When when it first appeared on my XPMCE PC I remember Googling about it an not finding a solution.

As Hans says it's safe to uninstall OE if you don't use it.

As for John's question, .eml is also the default extension that Thunderbird applies to saved messages. While XP (and Win2000) by default invoke OE to open .eml files, a right click and 'open with' allows you to choose TB.

Which suggests that if OE has been removed Windows might fall back to and use TB as the default or it might ask which application should it use for .eml. If the latter you can make TB the default by browsing to the TB .exe and making sure 'always use this app' is ticked before OKing out of the dialog.

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Ah, Ken, but as I said I use Outlook - not Thunderbird!
John Gray

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Sorry John, I was more talking to Al, who does use TB.

In your case I suspect you'd have to look for a third party app that would allow you to open the .eml file with Outlook.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

According to Opening eml-files with Outlook, you can open .eml files in Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010. For Outlook 2003 and 2007, you need a registry fix that can be downloaded from the above article.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Hans, I have hastened to install this fix on my Office 2003 work PC!
John Gray