Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail

Slim
StarLounger

Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail

Post by Slim »

I am using Windows 7 operating system and Windows Live Mail (WLM) for e-mail.
The screen for WLM shows the messages that have been downloaded in the main section and on the left side are listed the various folders in which e-mail messages can reside. The folder titled Inbox contains the messages received. the Sent folder contains the messages that have been sent. Down below these is a major section titled Storage Folders. Under the Storage folders title are sub folders. I have titled about a dozen sub-folders in which I can store e-mail messages relating to the various subjects.
Now the problem -- I was trying to re-order these sub-folders and somewhere in the process most of them disappeared. I have no idea why. I do not know where they went. I would like to restore them. If I highlight the main Storage Folders title and then right click on this there is an option named "Find". Click on this and it brings up a window where you can describe what you want to find. One option shown is "Browse". Click on "Browse" and it shows all of the sub folders where messages are stored including the folders that mysteriously disappeared! How do I get all of these folders with their contents restored to the main WLM screen?
Your assistance will be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Slim

HansV
Administrator

Re: Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail

Post by HansV »

Quit Windows Live Mail.
The folders used by Windows Live Mail are found in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail. You have to show hidden files, folders and drives in Windows Explorer in order to see them.
Try to search for the subfolders in the folder mentioned above. If you find them, you can move them back to the desired location.
Best wishes,
Hans

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Dear Hans,
I think I have located the folders that went missing using the path you spelled out. But, once located I have not been able to return these folders to the desired location in WLM. Can you give me information on how to do this?
Best regards,

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Can't you simply drag them to where you want them?
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

I have been caught by this before......have you tried selecting VIEW tab alon the top and make sure STORAGE FOLDERS are selected?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Probably a silly question but have you checked out all your other folders in the left hand pane, just to check that you haven't, inadvertently, moved the folders you cannot find inside some of the other, existing folders? If you can see the folders where Han's said they'd be then you cannot have lost them completely - perhaps they're 'hiding' out somewhere that they shouldn't be!!!
Regards,
Keith

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Dear Hans,
I did try to drag them but was unsuccessful. I did get to move them to the Desktop but was unable to get them moved to the left pane in WLM.
Can you assist further?
Sincerely,
Slim

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Dear Jaystarter,
Many thanks for the suggestion. When I click on "View/Storage Folders" it just makes the few folders remaining disappear. Clicking again makes these few folders reappear. The missing folders remain missing.
Best regards,
Slim

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Dear Aekyall,
Many thanks for your reply. I am fairly certain the folders did not disappear totally. I was able to find them using the guide Hans furnished. Now I am trying to get them into the list of Storage Folders in the left pane of WLM. What I did to make them disappear in the first place I have no idea. I was just trying to reorder them when I did something to make them disappear.
Best regards,
Slim

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have to admit I don't know. Apparently these folders have special properties, and just moving them into Storage Folders doesn't cause WLM to "see" them. I hope someone else has a better understanding of how WLM works. (It's not my main mail program - I prefer Microsoft Office Outlook)
Best wishes,
Hans

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Dear Hans,
Many thanks for your views. You are always a guiding light. I should forget about WLM and move on to Outlook.
With best regards,
Slim