Windows Live Communications Platform

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Live Communications Platform

Post by Gloria E »

The above is one of the many programs installed by WLE 2011 that I did not ask for upon installation. I found two copies of the Platform, both are the same. I want to know if one can be removed or should I remove both?

I'm using Revo Uninstaller Pro, can it be used to remove all of the WLE programs? The only one I want to keep is WLMail. I ask for the reason below.

I checked in Programs and Features, clicked on WLE's name, chose Uninstall and the following message appeared: "There is a problem with one or more of the programs. To fix it, try uninstalling all the WLE programs and then install again from explore.live.com." That sounds like it can be removed using Programs & Features.

So basically there are two problems to be addressed.

If I've posted this in the wrong forum, pleae feel free to move it where it should be.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Leif
Administrator

Re: Windows Live Communications Platform

Post by Leif »

Why do you want to uninstall it? Are you getting any errors relating to it?
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I only use the free version of Revo. it does things in two main stages. First it uses the applications own uninstaller. Once that has completed Revo then runs its own scan to see what's still left behind.

This means when you select an application within Revo the first thing that happens is you are presented with whatever dialog boxes the apps normal unistaller throws up. Only once you've clicked through that routine does them Revo offer you a choice of different levels of scan. Once the scan completes Revo presents you with the choice of deleting what it's found or leaving it alone. In other words, you are in total control of what Reveo does or does not remove.

Another thing about the free version of Revo. If you use an apps uninstall routine outside of Revo and then open Revo, that app will not appear in the list of installed apps. This means you can't then use Revo to scan for leftovers. The Pro version may be different, it may be clever enough to scan for left over bits of apps not listed as installed.

So to answer your questions:
1) If Revo lists the apps you want to remove I'd use Revo to control the uninstallation.
2) If you'd prefer to use Program & Features then you'll probably have to INSTALL everything first, to ensure you have a clean and tidy installation that will behave itself when you then unistall the bits you don't want.

Having said all that, I'd not bother. It's a lot of hassle to remove something that's not causing any problems - except when you try to remove it.

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Ken,
I have Revo Pro and it seems to basically work as you describe.
I haven't found any option to clean up scraps of leftover apps. If it does and someone gives a clue as to how it does it, I'd appreciate it.
Pro does seem to be more thorough when using a 64 bit OS.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Leif wrote:Why do you want to uninstall it? Are you getting any errors relating to it?
I want to remove one of the two that are listed. I hardly want the one let a lone two of the same program.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:Ken,
I haven't found any option to clean up scraps of leftover apps. If it does and someone gives a clue as to how it does it, I'd appreciate it.
Bob, I attempted to uninstall a program the other day, and got a message from the installer that the uninstall could only be done when a program has been installed. I had never seen that done before,so it suprised me that the removal continued.

Revo continued working and found some leftovers in the registry, and I let them be removed. Would you consider that "cleaning up scraps"?

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
viking33 wrote:Ken,
Bob, I attempted to uninstall a program the other day, and got a message from the installer that the uninstall could only be done when a program has been installed. I had never seen that done before,so it suprised me that the removal continued.

Revo continued working and found some leftovers in the registry, and I let them be removed. Would you consider that "cleaning up scraps"?
No, I'm talking about the situation that Ken describes in his earlier post.
( third paragraph )
Some of the uninstallers that come with the original program, do not always delete everything, so bits and pieces and scraps are left behind and SNUP [serve no useful purpose] Revo does not usually pick these up and does not see them as an installed program.
It would be nice if they did but......

Occasionally, I'll go into Windows Explorer and look around for folders that are from old programs that I know I no longer have working and delete a bunch of junk files and folders.
I did this just a few days ago and got rid of more than 300MB of useless stuff.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

I do love to clean house and that applies to my computer too. I will do as you did and look around Windows Explorer to see what I can get rid of safely. Thanks for the tip.

Gloria E