Outlook 2010 Data File Location

sobershea
2StarLounger

Outlook 2010 Data File Location

Post by sobershea »

The Outlook data file has always been located at C:\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. Now I see there is a folder in My Documents called Outlook Files which contains the *.pst file. On my new desktop the *.pst file that is updated is the one in My Documents. On my laptop, the data file that is updated is the one in C:\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. Color me confused.
:scratch:
Does anyone know what's going on?
TIA
Sherry

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Outlook 2010 Data File Location

Post by DaveA »

Sounds like it was moved there.

Did you by chance have a earlier version of Outlook, and if it was using this location, then when you installed 2010, it used the same location.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The default location for the .pst file(s) is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook, but they can be located anywhere. You can specify the location in Start > Control Panel > Mail (if you use Category view in Control Panel, Mail is in the User Accounts and Parental Control group).
x1002.png
Click Data Files... to manage the location of your Outlook data files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See Where does Outlook 2010 save information for an explanation.

Joe
Joe

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

Hans, when I am in Mail can I just double click the line and change the location? And will it move the file or do I have to move it? I could just leave it be, but I'd like both the desktop and the laptop to have the data file stored in the same place - just for my own sanity. The desktop has stored it in Documents because it is the only time Office has been installed. The notebook still has it in the old default location because there have been several versions of Office installed over time. Anyhow, I just need to understand how to change the location.

TIA
Sherry

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I'd shut down Outlook then move the file then use the Control Panel mail applet to change the location. Once all that is done start Outlook.

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What Joe says:
- Quit Outlook.
- Use Windows Explorer to move the file.
- Use the Mail control panel to set the new location.
- Start Outlook.
Best wishes,
Hans

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

After moving the file in Explorer and then changing the location in Control Panel Mail I get a Send/Receive error saying that it can't access the data file. I checked the permissions and they were OK. I will just have to remember that the data file is in a different location on each machine. Thanks for the input.
Sherry