Outlook 2010 Recurring Calendar Appointments

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Outlook 2010 Recurring Calendar Appointments

Post by Bigaldoc »

I use OL 2010 only for calendar, contacts and memos. I do not use it for email.

I have a question about recurring appointments that has plagued me since I started using OL 2010. Looking in Help only produces ONE hit to a site that espouses a very cumbersome export and import and so on...

I have a recurring appointment with NO END DATE that occurs on Monday, every other week, from 10 am until 2 pm. All's well with that.

Every once in awhile I have to change the day of the week for one of those appointments to, for example, Wednesday instead of Monday. That too works just fine, as I change "only this occurrence" and it works OK.

Now, a situation comes up that I have to change all FUTURE appointments to Wednesday instead of Monday and I'm beside myself with inability to figure out how to do that. The only way I've come close is to change the "series" to have an end date of the last (most recent) appointment and then create a NEW recurring appointment on Wednesday. Even that has its headaches if one of the most recent has already been changed from Monday to some other day. OL seems to go a bit wild on me. Surely there MUST be a way to change ONLY FUTURE appointments in the stream???

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook 2010 Recurring Calendar Appointments

Post by HansV »

This is a major annoyance - Outlook simply does not offer a good way to edit recurring appointments.
Ridiculous as it may seem, at the place where I work, we've reverted to creating individual appointments instead of recurring appointments if there's a high probability that the schedule will have to be modified...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I use the same method as you do Al. I change the end date of the existing series and create a new one.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you use Auto-archive it is a good practice to put an end date on all recurring appointments as recurring appointments with no end date never get archived. I use yearly for recurring appointments and set another one time appointment to remind me to recreate the series for next year.

Joe
Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I didn't know that one, Joe, but I don't use auto-archiving. I figured that was mostly for email so I never turned it on. The only thing (other than nightly backup) that I've ever concerned myself with, through ALL the programs I've used for calendaring, is the span of time for my calendar getting too big. Funny that it's never reared its ugly head as I always seem to be forced into a new software calendar every few years... :smile: