Hyperlinks in emails (Outlook 2003)

silverback
5StarLounger

Hyperlinks in emails (Outlook 2003)

Post by silverback »

When creating an email in HTML format, if I include a URL link, there doesn't appear to be any way to activate the link to check if it's correct. However, when the email arrives at its destination, all the links work.
I've tried left click, Ctrl+click, Alt+click, Shift+click and Shift plus all the other combinations; nothing works.
This usually causes me to change the format to Rich Text and then I can test that I've typed the link correctly.

Is there a setting I've overlooked that will allow me to test links while I'm creating an HTML formatted email?

Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Re: Hyperlinks in emails (Outlook 2003)

Post by HansV »

I don't think you're missing anything. You could also send the e-mail to yourself first...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I'll check when I get back to my desk at work tomorrow but I think on my Outlook (2007) if having typed/copied a URL into an HTML mail (my default mail format) and I have the cursor is at the end of the link then when I press return to create a new line the text becomes an active link.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Having checked I find I was wrong, I can't turn a URL in to a link by simply pressing 'enter' at the end of the line.
:scratch: I wonder why I did think that, I'm sure I've seen it happen but i can't reproduce it at the moment.

Ken

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

stuck wrote:Having checked I find I was wrong...
From experience, the typed text appears as a hyperlink (after a space or CR), and looking at the source shows it formatted as:

<A href="http://www.company.com">www.company.com</A>

but it can not be clicked on to test. Assuming the text shown is the actual URL, I have always had to resort to copy and pasting it into a browser address bar to double check it works.
Leif

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I am using Outlook 2010 and all my emails are HTML (at least that is what it says when I click the Format Text Tab, not a pro at this). When I place a link in the screen I place the path, then when I hit the spacebar Outlook makes it a link and hovering over it I am told to use Ctrl-Click to activate. Does that help any?
Who will you Inspire today?

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Timelord wrote:I am using Outlook 2010 and ...
...and Outlook 2010 uses Word as it's editor, I think. And the Ctrl+Click method does work in Word...

Unless I've misremembering!
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Leif wrote:...and Outlook 2010 uses Word as it's editor, I think. And the Ctrl+Click method does work in Word...

Unless I've misremembering!
This is correct. It seems to work much better than the integration between Word and Outlook in previous versions.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I was right Outlook can convert text to a link with a carriage return but I'd turned off the relevant option...

In Outlook 2007 create a new message then:
- Click Office Button | Editor Options
- Select 'Proofing' in the left hand pane and click on the 'AutoCorrect Options' button in the right hand pane
- Select the 'AutoFormat As You Type' tab
- In the top section headed 'Replace as you type' tick 'Internet and network paths with hyperlinks'

Outlook then converts text to a Ctrl Clickable link as you type.

Ken