Migrating To Windows 7

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Migrating To Windows 7

Post by Bigaldoc »

As some may know, I'm still in the process of migrating to Windows 7 from XP. I have a standalone copy of Outlook 2010 that I use only for calendar, contacts and memos. I DO NOT use Outlook for email.

Am I correct in my thinking that after I install Outlook 2010 on my Win7 partition, I should be able to copy the .PST file from C:\Documents and Settings\aeh\My Documents\Outlook Files to the appropriate Users folder in Win7?

I hope it will be that simple!!!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Migrating To Windows 7

Post by HansV »

Yes, you can copy it to C:\Users\aeh\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook (assuming you use the same username in Windows 7). Keep in mind that AppData is a hidden folder in Windows 7, just like Application Data in Windows XP, so you must tell Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders (Organize > Folder and Search Options, View tab).
Then tell Outlook to use this file, for example in the Mail control panel.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Wow, I'm glad I asked! I thought it would be in the "Roaming" folder, but I ought to get confirmation of that after I install Outlook. Thanks, Hans!

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Bigaldoc wrote:...I thought it would be in the "Roaming" folder...
If you work in a domain environment then things in the Roaming folder are copied to your login server and then copied to any PC where you log in. since a PST can be very large this would make login unbearably slow.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have found that if I fire up and set up Outlook and then just "Import" the data from the old PST file, things seem to be better. This gives me a clean fresh PST file.

Yes, there are draw backs, one MUST make all of those setting changes that one, likes, but overall I like the clean PST file.

Just one persons opinion.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

DaveA wrote:... <snip> ... one MUST make all of those setting changes that one, likes, but overall I like the clean PST file.
Oh Lordy, Dave, that's one of the reasons I'm usually so resistant to change. Over time, I can't REMEMBER, let alone reconstruct all the settings and customizing that I treasure so. And it permeates most all my software: Outlook, MailWasher, Thunderbird, Firefox and the list goes on and on.

Once I tried to keep a "diary" of sorts but it was unworkable so I quit trying. I don't mind running a new OS, installing all the software and learning the nuances of that OS, but as short a time as I've been using Outlook, I already can't remember what I did, a little at a time, to get it where it is right now.