PST Backup And File Size

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

PST Backup And File Size

Post by Bigaldoc »

New Outlook 2010 user after a 10 year absence. So far I have two files: mailbox.pst and xxxxx - AEH.pst (the xxxxx represents my email address).

I see there are backup addons available but, in light of the fact that I image every day (full and incremental), is that sufficient or is there anything else I need to know. In the event of a crash or file corruption, can one pull the pst files out of a backup and get Outlook going again?

It seems like I remember folks here talking about pst file size maximums but I can't find it now. Is there some limit to the size of the pst files? Or, do I need to set that limit on my own? See: How to configure the size limit for both (.pst) and (.ost) files in Outlook

StuartR
Administrator

Re: PST Backup And File Size

Post by StuartR »

Al,

I screwed up some contacts in Outlook the other day, so I recovered the PST file from a backup, opened it at the same time as I still had the current PST file open and copied just the contacts I needed from one to the other. I then closed the old version again.

There used to be a 2GB limit on PST files, but I now have PST files of 3GB and more. According to KB982557 the maximum size of a PST file in Outlook 2010 is 50GB, and you can increase the size beyond that if you are very strange!
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There is no need for a separate Outlook backup utility. In case of problems, you can simply restore the .pst file(s) from a generic backup or image.

In the 15 years or so I've been using Outlook, I've never felt the need to set size limits myself, I've always used the default settings. With Outlook 2010, the default maximum size is 20 GB, which should be plenty!
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Hans,

According to the MS KB article in my link, the default maximum PST file size was 20GB in Outlook 2007 and is now 50GB in Outlook 2010.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You're correct. Anyway, that size should be more than sufficient.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thank you both. I'll rest easy. I just had something in a dusty corner of my mind, but you know how it is with us old guys! :blush:

That link I referenced makes it look like 50G also, so I think I'm "safe" for my lifetime...

Whothe
NewLounger

Post by Whothe »

Actually I'm using an external backup tool for Microsoft Outlook it's called the lookeen backup manager and I pretty much like it. I don't know how important the information in your inbox is for you, for me it's essential for my daily work. And talking about limiting the size of a pst.file with this tool you can adjust the maximum backup size in case you don't want your files to get too big.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Wow! That's a lot of money! I'll keep relying on Shadow Protect's daily backups.

Download Lookeen Backup Manager 6.35.80.0540 Free Trial - Outlook backup utility - Softpedia

Whothe
NewLounger

Post by Whothe »

Yes you're right it's not that cheap but as a professional I also need a professional tool. I'm rather willing to spend some money on a tool I can rely on afterwards. But I understand that this isn't the solution for everyone.