Can't save a new contact group

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Can't save a new contact group

Post by stuckling1 »

I've created a new contact group in OL 2010, by adding contacts from my address book in the usual manner.

However when I try to "save and close" the group, I get the error below:

I've done what it says (pressed F9 to sync everything) repeatedly, and so as far as I can see, all my contacts are in sync, and there's nothing waiting to be sent.

Any help greatly appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can't save a new contact group

Post by HansV »

This is a long shot, since I can't find anything about this error message and since I don't have Office 2010.

Right-click the relevant contacts folder and select Properties from the popup menu.
Activate the Outlook Address Book tab.
If the "Show this folder as an e-mail address book" check box is clear, tick it, then click OK.
Then try again.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

Thanks for the quick reply, Hans, but looks like we have an odd one here, as I couldn't find any mention of it either!
I had also looked at the properties dialogue in search of a 'snyc this folder' type of option, but to no avail.
I'd seen that box you mentioned - it is ticked, and is greyed so you can't un-tick it even if you want to.

Possibly it be something to do with the contacts I'm using? ... But they're just ordinary email contacts, so on the other hand maybe it's just Outlook being smelly!

thanks anyway

stuckling

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When adding members to a contact group, you have three options:
contactgroup.png
Have you experimented with the other choices than you initially used?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

stuckling1 wrote:Outlook being smelly
Ah yes, the devilish whiff of sulphur :evilgrin:

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

Haha, very funny Papa...

Yes, Hans, I've tried all those three options, but the problem persisted.
Anyway I gave up with creating that particular group as all my other groups still work.

On second thoughts, it does rather smell of fire and brimstone...

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

I think the groups feature in OL 2010 is a bit quirky. I too got some strange sync messages when I tried using the New Contact Group from the ribbon, which in my case made no sense at all since I don't use Outlook for email, only for calendar and contact sync with my smartphone. I found that if I manually created a new folder under contacts for each group that I wanted by right clicking Contacts and choosing New Folder and then dragged the contacts to a folder or used Move to from the shortcut menu to assign them, it worked. :shrug:
Charlotte

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

Thanks Charlotte.

My contact groups seem to be behaving themselves at the moment, but if I ever run into trouble again I shall try your method!

Kind regards

stuckling