Outlook 2003

silverback
5StarLounger

Outlook 2003

Post by silverback »

Office 2003, Service Pack 3.
As posted elsewhere, my PC contracted a virus and has had to be rebuilt. The long process of making all the applications look like they did before the PC got trashed has started and is proving difficult.
I've reinstalled Office 2003 and (fortunately had just archived my Outlook .pst file before the trashing) pointed Outlook at the .pst file. I have all my old email, but Outlook doesn't look like it used to. The attached picture shows :
1. There is a "Favorite Folders" at the top left of the picture. How do I get rid of this?
2. The Contacts folder, the Calendar folder and the Notes folder are 'missing' i.e. they do not appear in the folder list. How do I make them appear? (if I put icons for Contacts, Calendar and Notes in the Navigation Pane at the bottom, I can access all these items but only in a separate window).
3. How can I get rid of the Navigation Pane?

(If I right click on the Email name at the top, select Properties and then folder size, the three 'missing' folders are itemised in the size list, so clearly they are still present in the .pst file - so it looks like an Outlook display problem rather than a genuinely missing data problem)

Thanks
Silverback
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Outlook 2003

Post by John Gray »

Click on the yellow "folders" icon at the bottom of the windows, then choose Mail then Folders. (That's the way I like it to look!)

Or, if you do this often, drag the items from the expanded yellow icon upwards, so they appear as bars. Or possibly drag the dotted line at the bottom upwards.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

John Gray wrote:Click on the yellow "folders" icon at the bottom of the windows, then choose Mail then Folders. (That's the way I like it to look!)

Or, if you do this often, drag the items from the expanded yellow icon upwards, so they appear as bars. Or possibly drag the dotted line at the bottom upwards.
Sorry, John. I don't understand your posting. What is the yellow "folders" icon at the bottom of the windows?

I don't want anything in the navigation pane - indeed, I don't want the navigation pane at all. I do want Contacts etc. in the folders list along with Inbox, Outbox etc. This means that when, say, the Contacts folder is clicked, contacts appear in the right hand pane, just like Inbox. (viewing pane is turned OFF!) instead of another window from which I have to select Back on the Web toolbar to get back to Inbox. Finally, I don't want the Favorite Folder which is shown at the top left; this was not a part of my 'old' Outlook.

The frustration is that I know that, pre virus, Outlook did look like I'm asking for (ie not like the picture in my posting), but I can't find how to make it so, again.

Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Press Ctrl+6 to activate the Folder List. This will automatically hide Favorites.

(Look at the Go menu for other keyboard shortcuts to go to Inbox, Calendar etc.)
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

HansV wrote:Press Ctrl+6 to activate the Folder List. This will automatically hide Favorites.

(Look at the Go menu for other keyboard shortcuts to go to Inbox, Calendar etc.)
Perfect - just what we wanted.
:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:
Silverback

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

silverback wrote:Sorry, John. I don't understand your posting. What is the yellow "folders" icon at the bottom of the windows?
I was referring to the yellow blob in your graphic, just above the "34" in the size of the JPEG! But Hans has given you a faster way...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

John, the "yellow blob" is for Notes, not for Folder List. Cf. this screenshot of the Go menu:
x115.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Serves me right for answering that at home (Outlook 2010...)
John Gray