Attachments to appointments - hide

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Attachments to appointments - hide

Post by MelanieB »

Is there a way to set rights on who can see an attachment to an appointment? One of our users wants the attachment to only be visible to the people who are invited to the meeting, not to everyone who has rights to see his appointments.

I told him I didn't think this was possible and if he wants an attachment only to be visible to certain people, then send an email with that attachment to those people.

He wants me to see if there is a way around that.

So I'm asking the smartest people I know....

Goshute
3StarLounger

Re: Attachments to appointments - hide

Post by Goshute »

If you're asking someone smart, I should let Hans answer. :grin:

IF you/the user has not checked/ticked "Delegate can see my private Items" in the Permissions dialog, marking the Meeting Private will prevent delegates from opening the item in ordinary use of Outlook. See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlo ... 75081.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; especially the section headed "Choose items that can't be viewed by a delegate." But there are some warnings that a delegate who wishes to break into a Private Outlook Item may be able to defeat this security with either Outlook VBA code, or by sending the Meeting Item to another email address as a VCal or ICal attachment.

EDIT: marking the item Private hides the entire item, not just the attachment(s). Outlook doesn't have the level of refinement that Attachments can have higher security than their parent items (I don't know of ANY commercial Mail-&-PIM apps with that level of refinement, but perhaps there's one out there).
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

John is correct - it is not possible to hide an attachment from some people and not from others (all of whom can see the appointment). Your suggestion to send a separate e-mail with the attachment is one solution, protecting the attachment with a password and giving the password only to selected people is another but less secure one. If the attachment is a Word document or Excel workbook, it can be protected in its native application; any file can be stored in an encrypted zip file.
Best wishes,
Hans

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

ok Thanks!