no send button in Outlook

jmt356
SilverLounger

no send button in Outlook

Post by jmt356 »

I don't quite know what happened, but on Outlook 2003 on one of my computers running Windows XP, the alt + S function is no longer working to send email, and the send button is missing!

I'd like to take a screen shot, but there is no Snipping tool on XP and I can't figure out how to cause the image captured by Print Screen to become a JPG that I can post. Actually, I'll just paste it into a Word document and attach that.

regards,

JMT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

JMT

Goshute
3StarLounger

Re: no send button in Outlook

Post by Goshute »

You can't find and restore the command using View | Customize? If not close Outlook and all Outlook windows and processes (check the Task Manager) and in the Start | Run box try this command line restart switch (note one space before the slash):

outlook.exe /cleanviews

If that doesn't work try Help | Detect and Repair. Post back your results.

(PS, using only out-of-the-box XP you can paste into MS Paint, crop as needed using the select tool, save as a PNG of modest dimensions, then post.)
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

jmt356 wrote:the alt + S function is no longer working to send email, and the send button is missing!
Does Ctrl-Enter send emails ?

If Goshute's suggestions don't work, go into File | Data File Management, click on open folder, check the file (outlook.pst) size. If it's huge, try archiving some emails. OTOH, try repairing it by searching for scanpst.exe and point that program to the folder you found by clicking on "open folder".
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Another option is to create a new e-mail profile in the Mail control panel.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thanks for all these suggestions but a new problem arose: when I try opening Outlook, I get a window saying Installation Error: File not Found. It's looking for file PA5611401.CAB and asks me to install my installation CD, which I don't have wiht me, but luckily, I have the contents of the cd on the C drive, but when I browse to the Office folder which is where that file is located, and click OK, the same message pops up; Windows can't find it.

So I am thinking of reinstalling Office but the problem si I don't have the product key here with me. Is there a way to figure out what it is by looking on the laptop somewhere?
Regards,

JMT

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Belarc Advisor is a free utility that will list - among many other things - you Office product key.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Belarc Advisor "Yee-", as we say in the trade, "Hah!".
Thanks Hans.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thanks all. I managed to find the product key. I was just about to uninstall Office and reinstall it until I discovered that the Office installed on the computer is Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 but the installation files I have are for MS Office Professional Edition 2003. So if I uninstall it and then reinstall MS Office Professional Edition, the old product key won't work with Pro, will it?? I currently have no access to the MS Office Standard Edition cd.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The product key is specific to the version, so a key for Office Standard is not valid for Office Professional.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

The problem is I have the installation files for Standard on cds in an attic 14,000 miles away and they are obviously unaccessible. I have the product key for Office Standard 2003, but not the installation files. I tried Googling Office 2003 and found a bunch of web sites offering it for free. Those aren't safe, no? Does Office automatically install the installation files somewhere on my computer when I install OFfice or do I have to manually copy them from my cds when I get them?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I wouldn't trust sites that offer Office 2003 for free.

When you insert an Office installation CD in your computer, the CD should automatically start the installation process (giving you an opportunity to cancel, of course).

Do you have a colleague or friend who has the CDs for the retail version of Office 2003 Standard? (The OEM version wouldn't do, that is bound to the hardware it came with). If so, you could install from those, then use your product key.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans, I'm in a new city where I have one friend: my wife.

If I may just register a general complaint: as I have found whenever changing computers: since I travel a lot, I don't always have the installation cds with me because I don't want the extra weight. Developers make it very difficult to get the versions of older software and I think it's a ploy to get users to buy upgraded versions of software, but when you're like me and you have 10-12 programs, this can easily get expensive as each upgrade is usually about $100, and usually the older versions are better and the newer ones require all sorts of learning curves. This leaves users having to search online for older versions but the problem with this is most of those offering these programs often say it's free but it's not and you just end up at some dead-end where they ask you to register and pay some fee to download all this software. I once went along with this with one web site (idownloadall.com) and after all this effort, found that they didn't even have the language pack I was looking for (the one they had was for a different version of Office). I understand developers need to make money, but I think it's unjust to expect users to have to upgrade all of the time. They could keep the older software available on their web sites without offering support for them. That doesn't cost them anything.
I would caution anyone who changes computers frequently to copy the data from every installation cd onto your desktop or carry these cds around with you. One example is Adobe Acrobat 6.0, which I bought several years ago but now can't install on my new laptop because I don't have the installation cd with me, and Adobe won't give me the installation files for 6.0 and are requiring that I upgrade to the new (9.0) version for $199.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

When one installs Office, a copy of the "Install files can be left on the hard drive.

Look for the "MSOcache" folder. It is there so when you do updates, repairs or did NOT install all of Office, it can be used when needed. This include getting those converters that are not installed.

So if this folder is ON your machine, you should be able to do a "Repair" with out having the CD and MAY solve your problem.

Now I read that it is asking for the CD, which means that YOU have deleted or did NOT allow the "MSOcache" to be retained on the system when Office was installed.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living