Attachment fails to transmit

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Attachment fails to transmit

Post by Dave Davison »

I just got an email from a friend asking me if I know why - when forwarding an email with an attachment on it - the attachment sometimes does not transmit. By that I suspect he means the recipient replies to say it was not visible. Any suggestions please. I will point him to the forum and this question so he can read the answer for himself. :thankyou: Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Attachment fails to transmit

Post by HansV »

When one forwards an e-mail, attachments should be forwarded too, unless the sender explicitly removes them.
If the attachments don't arrive, we'd have to know if there is a pattern to this - does it concern attachments of a specific type, or with a very large size, or something like that.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Hans....I have sent an email to my friend suggesting he subscribe to the forum also to log on to this thread to view the responses and maybe offer more information himself regarding his problem. Thanks Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:I just got an email from a friend asking me if I know why - when forwarding an email with an attachment on it - the attachment sometimes does not transmit. By that I suspect he means the recipient replies to say it was not visible. Any suggestions please. I will point him to the forum and this question so he can read the answer for himself. :thankyou: Dave.
It could be that you are sending him an attachment but his system can't cope with the way your system is sending it. For example, email systems using Outlook/Exchange have a habit of 'wrapping up' attachments (in the background ,without the sender realising it) inside a file called winmail.dat. If the recipient doesn't have an Outlook/Exchange set up, then when the winmail.dat file arrives it is is not unwrapped to reveal the attachments again. All the recipient sees is the text of the email plus an attached winmail.dat file but without extra software they can't do anything with the winmail.dat file.

As Hans has already suggested, you need to get more details from your recipient about what they mean when they say attachments are "not visible".

Ken