Outlook Screen Still confusing

BillW
3StarLounger

Outlook Screen Still confusing

Post by BillW »

I'm helping my daughter who has recently installed Outlook 2010 and is trying to understand it. She and I have never used Outlook before. A screen shot below shows what her screen looks like and we are confused by the "Microsoft Outlook" text added in some places. Added twice in the screen title line and added once to her email address. This is a POP3 situation.

Is this what you would expect the screen to look like?

Thanks, Bill
Last edited by StuartR on 29 Oct 2010, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To delete screen shot that had lots of personal information

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Outlook Screen Still confusing

Post by StuartR »

That certainly looks like the Outlook 2010 main screen to me.

This screen is very customizable, so mine looks nothing like that, but there is nothing obviously wrong. You have a slightly strange name for your email account (with "- Microsoft Outlook"). You can change this by going to the File tab on the ribbon, select Account Settings, Select the account and click Change... Then click More settings... and you will be able to delete this bit from the account name.

When I have posted this reply I am going to edit your post and delete the screen shot as it displays personal information such as your daughters email address and the names of many of her contacts.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let her click File.
Click Info in the navogation bar on the left.
Select Account Settings... from the Account Settings dropdown.
Activate the Data Files tab
(These 5 clicks are the equivalent of File | Data File Management... in Outlook 2007 :hairout:)
Select the item corresponding to her e-mail address.
Click Settings...
She can change the display name here - I suspect it now ends in " - Microsoft Outlook"; this can safely be removed.
Best wishes,
Hans

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Thanks Stuart and Hans. Also, Stuart thanks for deleting the attachment. I was concerned about posting all the info but I didn't know how to edit it and make some detailed changes.

Bill

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

BillW wrote:...I was concerned about posting all the info but I didn't know how to edit it and make some detailed changes.
I recommend using a tool like Faststone capture which allows you to make simple edits to screen captures such as adding arrows or covering parts of the image.
StuartR

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Thanks Stuart, I need to try that; it sounds like a good app. I have an older version of Paint shop Pro that has all kinds of capabilities that I don't know how to use and it takes forever to load so I don't use it very often. Then I have a simple screen capture program that doesn't have any editing capabilities that I know about. It sounds like FastStone Screen Capture has a little bit of both.

Bill