Outlook 365’s Move to Other Folder Choices

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Outlook 365’s Move to Other Folder Choices

Post by hlewton »

It used to be that when I wanted to move a message to a folder other than the Inbox I only had maybe 2 or 3 choices. Now it seems that the choices keep increasing as I choose a new folder. See inside the Red box in the attachment. Is there a setting in Outlook to limit the number of choices back to 2 or 3?

Thanks
Folders.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook 365’s Move to Other Folder Choices

Post by HansV »

I cannot find where this is stored in a settings file or in the registry, nor is there an obvious option in File > Options...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
19 Aug 2022, 20:16
I cannot find where this is stored in a settings file or in the registry, nor is there an obvious option in File > Options...
Thank you for trying. I couldn't get any help when I searched the WEB either.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/clearmru.htm for the storage location in the registry. It is a big binary that is difficult to make sense of.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 18:00
See https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/clearmru.htm for the storage location in the registry. It is a big binary that is difficult to make sense of.
Thank you Joe. I had seen and tried to make sense of it. I couldn't. I don't want to clear the MRU list, I just want to limit it to 3 or 4 entrees like it used to be.

I also looked into this https://www.howto-outlook.com/products/outlooktools.htm. It too doesn't seem to offer what I want to do.

I think this was a terrible Outlook update and hope it will be fixed soon.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I do not think that it is using a "MRU", but the custom folders that you have made.

To test this out make a new folder and try and do a move.
If the new folder is being listed then that is it.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

It is using a special MRU that is stored in the registry. There is a limit of 10 folders. I don't know of a way to change the limit.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 16:47
I do not think that it is using a "MRU", but the custom folders that you have made.

To test this out make a new folder and try and do a move.
If the new folder is being listed then that is it.
I do this all the time and it has always. But as a test I just did it again and it still works.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 19:51
It is using a special MRU that is stored in the registry. There is a limit of 10 folders. I don't know of a way to change the limit.
If the limit is 10 then, hopefully I have met that restriction and it won't get any larger. I didn't want to increase that limit, I wanted to get it down to 3 or 4.

I spent almost 2 hours on the phone today with Microsoft "help." I put the word help in quotes for good reasons. Most of that time was spent on hold while they checked their "resources." One of the persons did a Quick Assist and went all over every setting and folder I have in Outlook. Checked the Rules and many other things and after an hour with him, he gave up and was supposed to transfer me to a second level of support. The call was transferred but not to any higher level of support. It was like I was starting all over, only with a person who was much harder to understand her English than the previous support person was. After she checked her "resources" the only thing I could understand that she said was there was no way to change that setting and that was after I repeated it back to her to make sure of what I thought I had heard. I questioned her about a Registry entry and she said no to that too. I never did get to talk to anyone who actually knew what they were doing. Microsoft's support has deteriorated drastically over what it used to be when I called them.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

With the limit being 10, if you move an item to a folder not already in the list the last in the list should disappear with the new one added at the top. The ability to change the limit has been requested for a long time but AFAIK there has never been a response from Microsoft nor any indication anywhere that they intend to do anything.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 21:25
With the limit being 10, if you move an item to a folder not already in the list the last in the list should disappear with the new one added at the top. The ability to change the limit has been requested for a long time but AFAIK there has never been a response from Microsoft nor any indication anywhere that they intend to do anything.
Sounds like, again, they don't care what their customers want because we are kind of a captive audience. Especially someone like me who does not want to try to learn another operating system.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Once Microsoft makes a design decision it takes a large amount of feedback to get changes done. It is not that they don't listen or care, they have so many customers making so many requests there must be a way to prioritize the work. You should file feedback in Outlook. Go to Help | Feedback.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 21:19
Once Microsoft makes a design decision it takes a large amount of feedback to get changes done. It is not that they don't listen or care, they have so many customers making so many requests there must be a way to prioritize the work. You should file feedback in Outlook. Go to Help | Feedback.
I think I will do that. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton