Creating a rule for emails

jmt356
SilverLounger

Creating a rule for emails

Post by jmt356 »

I set up a rule in Outlook to move emails from a certain sender to a designated folder. However, the emails remain in my Inbox. It seems there is a copy of the emails in my Inbox and another in the designated folder. Also, I tried deleting one of the emails in my Inbox and it seems to have also been deleted from the designated folder. As such, it does not appear the emails really are moving to the designated folder. It seems to only be labeling emails in my Inbox but the emails remain in my Inbox. Is it possible to actually move them to the designated folder?
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Creating a rule for emails

Post by JoeP »

What version of Outlook?

Please post a picture of the rule.
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Is it possible that you are looking at the search folder that shows unread files, rather than your Inbox?
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I have Outlook version 2112. I think it's Outlook 365.

I am not looking in the Unread mail folder. I am looking in the Inbox.

The rule states:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
from [email address]
and with [xxxx] in the subject
move it to the [xxx] folder
and stop processing more rules
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

It is as though my rule only flags emails that fit my rule description and puts them into a folder that shows all the flagged emails, but the flagged emails are identical to the ones in my Inbox. If, for example, if mark an email in my Inbox as unread, it is also marked as unread in the folder into which it is moved by the rule. Therefore, the rule isn't really moving the messages from my Inbox.

It is like the Unread mail folder, which shows emails that are in my Inbox. What I am trying to do is automatically move certain emails from my Inbox into the other folder.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

jmt356 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 13:51
What I am trying to do is automatically move certain emails from my Inbox into the other folder.
I have rules very similar to the one you shared, and this is exactly what they do.
I can only suggest that there is something very wrong with your PST file, because this is not normal behaviour for Outlook
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Agree with Stuart. I have exactly the same rule (in fact a bunch of them) to move newsletters into a folder named Newsletters. The only difference is that I leave off the "stop processing more rules".
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I just removed "stop processing more rules." I will see if it works now.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I often use "stop processing more rules" and it does not cause issues like this. From your description it sounds like there is corruption in your PST file. I think you may have to create a new one and copy all the mail into it.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

"Stop processing more rules" prevents unintended consequences when an email matches conditions in more than one rule and the rule writer only intends for the first match to be processed. Managing rules can become tricky if you have more than just a few.
Joe

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The reason I asked for a picture of the rule is that what was written may be what was intended but not what is really in the rule. There are several similar conditions in building rules that can easily be confused.
Joe