Outlook Not Maintaining View Setting

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Outlook Not Maintaining View Setting

Post by hlewton »

I did see a recent topic along the same lines but decided to start this thread in order to not get my problem confused with jmt356's.

When I am using the "Mail" option of Outlook (not sure if that is the correct term but it is when I am sending or receiving emails), the first attachment shows how I want my Outlook displayed in 3 columns with the “To Do Bar” active and showing the calendar. The second attachment shows how it changes to a 2 column display every time after I use the “search people” option. Is there a way to make Outlook maintain the 3 column display I want when I come back to the "Mail" option from searching, editing or entering a new contact? I purposely left the view option showing the "To Do Bar" was set as I want it to be. However, I have to reset it every time I return form using the "People Search."

3 Column.jpg
2 column.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook Not Maintaining View Setting

Post by HansV »

I'd try StuartR's suggestion from jmt356's thread:
- Quit Outlook.
- Press the Windows key or click the Start button.
- Type

outlook.exe /cleanviews

- Press Enter.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I was going to post new attachments but they do not show anything different from what the ones above show. From an absolutely clean/new installation of Outlook on a new computer it is still doing the exact same thing in that any time after working with People or Contacts, whatever the correct term is, the view changes and no longer shows the calendar in the To Do pane on the right side of the Outlook screen. It just closes it all together. Any new suggestions on how this can be corrected or maybe it is a quirk of Outlook that can't be fixed. By-the-way, it acts exactly the same on all of my computers, so I'd think it had to be a known problem but I can't find any reference to it on the WEB.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you use Outlook in Microsoft 365, try the following:
- Select File > Options.
- Under 'Cloud storage options', clear the check box 'Store my Outlook settings in the cloud'.
- Click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
09 May 2022, 20:00
If you use Outlook in Microsoft 365, try the following:
- Select File > Options.
- Under 'Cloud storage options', clear the check box 'Store my Outlook settings in the cloud'.
- Click OK.
I did that, restarted Outlook, opened a contact, and it changed the view again. I don't think I am using Outlook with any settings that are out of the ordinary. I have to use a POP3 server but I have always used that. Not that I'd want to change, but because I am what my ISP refers to as a Legacy customer, I cannot have an IMAP account. So, I don't know if that matters or not, just thought I'd mention it.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It doesn't have anything to do with POP3/IMAP.

The only other possible remedy I found is rather radical; I don't know if you want to go that way. It would be to create a completely new email profile. you'd have to add your email account(s) again.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
09 May 2022, 21:38
It doesn't have anything to do with POP3/IMAP.

The only other possible remedy I found is rather radical; I don't know if you want to go that way. It would be to create a completely new email profile. you'd have to add your email account(s) again.
Thanks Hans, but you're right. I think I will leave well enough alone. From all I can find on the WEB, I am having less problems than many others. At least I can get my view back with just a couple of clicks.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you tried running Outlook in safe mode? Windows key + R, then outlook.exe /safe.

If the problem does not occur then it is probably an add-in causing the problem. Disable the add-ins one at a time to identify the problem one.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
10 May 2022, 02:16
Have you tried running Outlook in safe mode? Windows key + R, then outlook.exe /safe.

If the problem does not occur then it is probably an add-in causing the problem. Disable the add-ins one at a time to identify the problem one.
Thank you. I will give that a try but I don't think I have any add-ins. I will check out the safe mode though.
Regards,
hlewton