Outlook 2007 will not send messages

Caesar3
Lounger

Outlook 2007 will not send messages

Post by Caesar3 »

My wife's laptop runs Windows 7 and Office 2007. Last week Outlook stopped sending her messages. All her messages sit in her outbox. I've tried repairing her account, but nothing has worked. The workaround: I've copied the text of her messages and pasted the text into the body of a new message in her Webmail client. Her messages send without a hitch from the Web, so we're fairly sure the problem is in Outlook.

For what it's worth, this laptop started life as a Vista machine. The upgrade occurred long before this problem developed.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Outlook 2007 will not send messages

Post by JoeP »

Check with the email provider to see if account server names or ports have changed.

Joe
Joe

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Also see if your virus protection program updated itself and is now scanning outbound messages.
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

And see Email Won't Send - Common Causes for a series of troubleshooting steps (including what you've already done and what the others mentioned).
Best wishes,
Hans

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

I had a similar problem recently where I had changed the password on my aol account but forgot to tell outlook, hence no mail....
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

I don't see mention of whether or not messages are being received in Outlook.

I've found (with all versions of Outlook starting with 2003) that if a message is sitting in the Outbox and the user opens it to review it one last time (as I always do), the user must click Send again. Simply closing the message window with the X in the upper right corner, changes the sent date/time to "None" and the message never gets sent.

This last has been my experience. Hope it helps.
Carol W.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

How do you know that they were NOT sent?
Send yourself a message and see if you get it back.
If your settings were changed to "NOT to move sent files" to the "Sent" folder then they may have been sent and just not moved.
Check your sent settings.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

DaveA wrote:How do you know that they were NOT sent?
Caesar3 wrote "All her messages sit in her outbox". That doesn't happen if the messages were sent.
Best wishes,
Hans

Caesar3
Lounger

Post by Caesar3 »

My thanks to everyone who contributed here. Last night I finally got it fixed, although I'm not exactly sure how. I'd earlier tried the "Repair" button in her account settings, but to no avail. I studied your input and looked for ideas on Microsoft's support page. There I found that at least we're not the only victims of this problem.

The outbox was holding about five unsent messages. When I'd click "Send All," I'd get an error message. One thing that may have helped: I deleted all but the most recent stuck message from the Outbox. Then I again hit the "Repair" button. Once I did that, the problem seemed to disappear.

The really odd thing was that her in-bound traffic never stopped. The only problem was with the outbox.

Thanks again, everybody!