Clicking link in email opens two browser tabs

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Clicking link in email opens two browser tabs

Post by IanWilson »

For the last few days, if I click a link in an email telling me about a Lounge message (either Lounge) or, say, an email alerting me to a message in Facebook, if my default browser (Opera) is not already open then it opens with one tab for my home page, and two identical tabs taking me to the target of the link (such as the Lounge post). Previous behaviour was that the browser opened with one home page tab, and one instance (not two) of the tab with the link target. I've checked and I am definitely not double-clicking the links.

If the browser is already open, then only one tab opens if I click such a link.

I'm not sure whether this is to do with some setting in Outlook, or in the browser, or in Windows (XP SP3) but I thought I'd start by asking in the Outlook forum.

Ian

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Clicking link in email opens two browser tabs

Post by JoeP »

You ought to start with Opera. When I click links in Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010 beta I only get one tab opened in IE 8.

Joe
Joe

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

JoeP wrote:You ought to start with Opera. When I click links in Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010 beta I only get one tab opened in IE 8.

Joe
And now, of course, I can't replicate the behaviour! I tried changing my default browser to Firefox, then clicked the link in the email notifying me of your post, and only one tab opened in Firefox. So I closed Firefox, and changed my default browser back to Opera. And now clicking on a link such as the one in your email opens only one tab not two! :shrug:

Ian

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

By switching to Firefox, you probably scared Opera, so it decided to behave decently when you switched back. :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

HansV wrote:By switching to Firefox, you probably scared Opera, so it decided to behave decently when you switched back. :evilgrin:
I expect you are right! :laugh:

Ian

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Hi Ian

Because I have email accounts in Google, Hotmail and Yahoo I right click on the 'Outlook e' on the desktop and put in all 3 addresses. When I start Outlook 3 tabs open one for each. Perhaps your address for Opera has duplicated itself in the settings?
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

steveh wrote:Hi Ian

Because I have email accounts in Google, Hotmail and Yahoo I right click on the 'Outlook e' on the desktop and put in all 3 addresses. When I start Outlook 3 tabs open one for each. Perhaps your address for Opera has duplicated itself in the settings?
Who knows what the reason was, but as noted above, once I changed to default browser to Firefox, and then back again to Opera, the problem went away. So for now, as it ain't broke ...

Ian