Configuring Gmail for MS Exchange

jmt356
SilverLounger

Configuring Gmail for MS Exchange

Post by jmt356 »

Can Gmail be configured in Outlook as an Exchange account or as another account that allows for any changes made on one device to reflect on the cloud and on other devices, such as phones, tablets or other computers where the Gmail account is set up?

If so, is it free or is there a cost?

G Suite Basic offers "Business email through Gmail" for $6/mo. (see https://gsuite.google.com/pricing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Is that for an account that is compatible with Outlook?
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Configuring Gmail for MS Exchange

Post by JoeP »

G Suite documentation says it supports G suite sync for Outlook. See https://support.google.com/a/answer/33322?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pretty sure this is a re-branding of Gmail sync which is an implementation of the Exchange ActiveSync protocol licensed from Microsoft.

If you are looking for something free use IMAP
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Does IMAP work with a Gmail account? Does it automatically synchronize changes made to calendar items, emails and contacts on Outlook to other devices, such as phones and tablets, configured with the Gmail account?
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

jmt356 wrote:Does IMAP work with a Gmail account? ...
Google itself is quite helpful with questions like that - e.g. Check Gmail through other email platforms - Gmail Help
Leif

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

It appears from the link that Leif posted (https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en-GB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that Gmail works with IMAP and that "When you use IMAP, you can read your Gmail messages on multiple devices, and messages are synced in real time."

Is anyone aware of whether this is free? I believe it is free. However, I heard from somewhere that setting up Gmail via Exchange requires a paid service, so I would imagine that setting it up via IMAP would also be paid service. Otherwise, I would expect that no one would opt for the Gmail MS Exchange paid service.

I have Gmail account set up as POP. The PST for the account has emails, calendar items and contacts. If I change the account from POP to IMAP, will the calendar items and contacts sync in real time, along with the emails?
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have a "Live.com" address set up in Outlook 365 as IMAP and have never seen a bill from Microsoft.
It does to not remember the password to that account and must be typed in several times.

As for the syncing I do not sync, so hopefully some who does can help on that.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living