Index in Outlook 2016

jmt356
SilverLounger

Index in Outlook 2016

Post by jmt356 »

I upgraded on Outlook 2016 on 29 Oct. Since then, the search results in my mailboxes has been incomplete, though search in my contacts is working fine. In Outlook 2010, when indexing was incomplete, it was possible to click on a link under the message that stated that indexing was incomplete and a window would pop up stating how many more items needed to be indexed. Is there any such feature in Outlook 2016?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Index in Outlook 2016

Post by HansV »

Click the Start button in Windows (or press the Windows key) and type Indexing Options, then press Enter.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

That brings up the Windows Indexing Options, which shows the total number of items that have been indexed so far. What I am referring to above is the feature Outlook that showed how many items in my PST/OST remained to be indexed. The former refers to total items that have been index; the latter refers to only Outlook items remaining to be indexed. Is the latter no longer available?

I also have an update since my earlier post. Now none of my Contacts show up in search. The only way to find anything is to click on "Find more on the server" (contacts are in an MS Exchange account). How is it possible that items would be indexed on the server but not on my computer?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I hope someone else has an answer for you.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

When you look in Indexing Options do you see Microsoft Outlook as one of the indexed locations?
Assuming you do then try clicking Advanced, and then Rebuild. It will take a few hours to rebuild the index, but this may well fix your issue.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Under Indexing Options, Outlook is included. Users is also included, but AppData is excluded. I am not sure how to get AppData included. AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook is where I have my OST file. Perhaps it it is not be indexed for that reason.

However, I also have my OST file in a data drive. I am not sure why it is in AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook because I set it to go to my data drive. I also have what appears to be a duplicate of my OST file on my data drive. Why is there one OST in AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and another on my data drive? Which is the one that is actually being read by Outlook?
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You don't need to index the OST file separately. Just make sure Outlook is indexed. Then REBUILD THE INDEX to make sure it has been done properly
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

In Indexing Options, I see:
- two instances of Microsoft Outlook
- one instance of Outlook
- one instance of Users with AppData excluded.

Which of these three do I need to rebuild?

Why are there two instance sof Microsoft Outlook and one instance of Outlook? Is it because I have two OST files and one PST file?

Isn't the fact that AppData is excluded from indexing mean taht my OST files in AppData will not be indexed?
Last edited by jmt356 on 02 Nov 2019, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

When you click Rebuild it will rebuild the entire index. Just start it up leave it running overnight. It may take even longer, but it will quietly get on with the indexing and it is very likely to fix your issue when it is done.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The three instances of (Microsoft) Outlook most probably correspond to your three OST/PST files.

Including Outlook will overrule the exclusion of AppData.
Best wishes,
Hans