Mark mail as read after moving it to a folder

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Mark mail as read after moving it to a folder

Post by MelanieB »

One of our users needs a way to mark mail as having been read after she manually moves it to folders in her cabinet. She has the view pane open, so she can read it without having to double-click to open it. She said she moves mail to different folders and there is no real criteria that would fit a rule. I can't figure out how to do this when it's "random" like she wants it. She does this often enough that she doesn't want to have to right-click and mark it as read. She wants the move to the folder to trigger something that auto marks the mail as read.

Maybe someone knows how to write code that would do this? Or am I over thinking it?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Mark mail as read after moving it to a folder

Post by HansV »

Wouldn't it be easier if e-mails were automatically marked as read when viewed in the Reading Pane?

- Select Tools | Options...
- Activate the Other tab.
- Click Reading Pane...
- Tick the check box "Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane".
- Click OK.
x304.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

I misspoke. She does NOT use the reading pane and doesn't want to. She said she can tell what emails to move by the subject and who it's from. But, she wants to make the decision on whether to move the mail or not, so she wants the move to trigger the Mark Read.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I fear that you are (or rather your user is) out of luck. There is no "Move" event for items. There is an ItemRemove event for the Items collection of a folder, but it doesn't tell you which item(s) have been moved. The Items collection does have an ItemAdd event that passes the item, but you'd have to create an event handler for each and every folder into which messages could be moved - not very attractive, and difficult to maintain if folders are added.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The user could use the keyboard shortcut Control-Q to mark the post as read before moving the post.
StuartR

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

Thanks guys. I appreciate your suggestions!