Search for text within notes of Outlook 2016 contacts

jmt356
SilverLounger

Search for text within notes of Outlook 2016 contacts

Post by jmt356 »

In Outlook 2010, You could open up a contact and then search for text in the notes by pressing ctrl + F or ctrl + h. Is this search function no longer available in Office 2016? Or is is available under a different shortcut?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Search for text within notes of Outlook 2016 contacts

Post by HansV »

After clicking in the Notes box, you can use Ctrl+F and Ctrl+H to find and replace.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

ctrl+f and ctrl+h do nothing for me in 2016, even after I have clicked in the Notes box.

Is it possible to change the font in the Notes box? In Office 2010, ctrl+d would bring up the fonts dialogue. However, in Office 2016, ctrl+d does nothing.

Is it possible I have somehow restricted functionality in the Notes in my Outlook contacts? In 2010, working in the Notes was like working in a Word document. Activating the context menu would bring up all of the commands that were present in Word documents. However, in 2016, all I get is Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo and Redo.

Is it possible to cause contacts to open in an expanded, full-screen format by default without having to stretch the borders each time a contact is opened?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I do get Word-like functionality in the Notes box of a contact. What does your contact window look like?

You can maximize a contact by double-clicking its title bar.
Outlook should remember this setting, so that next time you open a contact, it will be maximized too.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

When I click a contact, I get very limited functionality.

However, if I click on the link under View Source, the full contact with full features shows up, including the ability to edit the font in the Notes. See the attached screen shots.

Is it possible to cause the Contacts to open up as full contacts by default?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Here is an image of the link under View Source that I referenced above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

My 2 cents ...

After a number of searches on this issue it seems that windows scaling seems to fix the issue for a lot of people. For example, someone on the https://social.technet.microsoft.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; platform posted:
It's to do with the high screen resolution and Windows 10 scaling used on the Surface Book (Found the same with other devices using e.g. 3200x1800) By default, Surface Book Windows 10 scaling is set to 200%, the Outlook 2016 contact field boxes are hidden/lost. To show them again you have to change the scaling down to 150%.
Not sure is this IS the case, but maybe it helps? ....
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If I right click a contact name on an email then I see two options. Edit contact takes me directly to the Outlook contact. Open Contact Card takes me to the more limited contact card that I also dislike.

I just edited a contact in Outlook. I double clicked the header to make it fill the screen. I closed it and then opened a different contact, it also opened in full screen.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

It seems this issue is resolved by choosing List rather than People under view.
Regards,

JMT