make new mail default to active Inbox

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

make new mail default to active Inbox

Post by stuck »

This one's got my local IT guy confused so I'm wondering if anyone here can shed any light.

In my Outlook 365 client I have:
    my personal account (me@myworkplace.co.uk)
    a shared mailbox (stuff@domain.com)
    another shared mailbox (otherStuff@domain.com)
When I click 'New Mail' then the new message defaults to being 'From' whatever account I've got selected and when that message is sent it passes through the relevant Outbox and ends up in the relevant Sent Items.

As far as we can see my colleagues have the same set up, i.e. they have their personal account and the same shared mailboxes that I have and all the settings for these accounts look the same as mine and everybody, including me, have had the same reg. patches to 'delegate sent items' applied.

HOWEVER, when my colleagues click 'New Mail' the new message defaults to being 'From' their personal account and ends up in their personal Sent Items.

:hairout:

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: make new mail default to active Inbox

Post by Rudi »

Hi Ken,

Have you checked these two settings that work in tandem.

Change your default email account
You can change your default email account using the following steps.
Select File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
From the list of accounts on the Email tab, select the account you want to use as the default account.
Select Set as Default > Close.

Disable use of the default email account for sending new email
If you do not want to use the default email account when clicking New Email (regardless what account or folder you start from), use the following steps.
Select File > Options > Mail.
Under Send Messages, uncheck the box Always use the default account when composing new messages.
Select OK.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Rudi wrote:Have you checked these two settings that work in tandem.
You might be on to something with that idea.

Rudi wrote:Change your default email account
This one we knew about and it was set correctly.

Rudi wrote:Disable use of the default email account for sending new email
If we knew about this one, we'd forgotten about it :grin: On my box it was unticked. Our experiments with this tick box on the other machines is giving mixed results. For example, with it unticked on one machine then one of the shared mailboxes on that machine behaves like mine but the other shared mailbox is still defaulting to the personal account.

We are currently messing around with changing the default account to something other than the personal account and then putting it back to the personal one. Doing that has revealed another quirk on one machine. When that one has one of the shared accounts set as the default, it seems to work as expected, but breaks when the personal on is the default. The weirdness has reminded of a gotcha that stuckling2 ran into when he graduated from Uni and then wanted to remove his university account from his Outlook (2013) profile - he couldn't, because the account was the first one he'd added to Outlook and that made it some sort of uber/primary account. He had to export all his mail (good ol' MailStore Home), uninstall/reinstall Outlook and then add his other accounts back, ensuring the first one he added was the one he considered to be his primary account.

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I recall that scenario too some while back.

IGNORE below inquiry! Makes no difference if you have one or multiple accounts.

I'm not sure what more to suggest.
Good luck with the testing and resolution. Hope you come right.

Just inquiring if you see (or can activate) the From: option when you create a new email (on the affected machine)?
I think this is only available if one has more than one account set up.

[attachment=0]20191024_401.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.