Set default Contacts folder to display in Outlook

jmt356
SilverLounger

Set default Contacts folder to display in Outlook

Post by jmt356 »

In MS Office Professional 2010, when I press ctrl + 3, I come to Contacts. There is a window on the left that shows three .PST files and the Contacts corresponding to each one. Each of the files also has a corresponding Suggesting Contacts folder. Whenever I come to the Contacts window, one of the Contacts .PSTs is selected by default and I need to manually change it to select another one. How can I go about setting a default so that I do not need to manually select it each time?

Somehow, with Calendars, Outlook has managed to remember the .PST that I want to have displayed, but in Contacts, the wrong one shows up and I need to manually select the right one.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Set default Contacts folder to display in Outlook

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

The link you provided gives instructions on how to choose a default Address Book when inside of an Outlook email message and pressing “To” in the email address field. What I am interested in doing is changing the default Outlook PST that is selected whenever I navigate to Contacts in Outlook (outside of the context of drafting a new message). Currently, when I launch Outlook and press ctrl +3 to pull up My Contacts, the contacts in the wrong .PST show up. I have to manually select the right one. Outlook remembers my selection and goes back to the right .PST as I navigate between Calendar and Mail and then back to Contacts, but when I restart Outlook, Outlook forgets my selection and goes back to the default Contacts .PST.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, the default contacts folder is the one associated with the default account as specified in File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
I don't think it's possible to set the default contacts folder to another one then the contacts folder of the default account.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have found that when I am in a new, reply or forward, and click on the listing icon, Outlook goes to the Contacts of the current sending account.

BUT, if I was to click the Contact icon in the lower left, Outlook will go to my secondary account, and will shown that I am in that Account.

Note: My secondary account is set up as a IMAP type, and is listed below the primary account.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

HansV wrote:As far as I know, the default contacts folder is the one associated with the default account as specified in File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
I don't think it's possible to set the default contacts folder to another one then the contacts folder of the default account.
How have I managed to get Calendar to default to the PST of my Exchange account, whereas Contacts defaults to the PST of my POP/SMTP account, which is set up as my default account in Account Settings?

On another note, ctrl + shift + i brings up the Inbox of my default POP/SMTP account. Is there a shortcut that can bring up the Inbox of my secondary Exchange account? Or do I need to manually navigate to it in the tree view window to the left of my Inbox and click on it?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, there is no keyboard shortcut to activate the Inbox of other accounts.

You can use Ctrl+Y to activate the 'Go to Folder' dialog, then use the arrow keys (up/down to move to the next/previous item, left/right to collapse/expand) to select the desired folder, and press Enter to activate that folder.
Best wishes,
Hans