iCloud and default Email Client

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

iCloud and default Email Client

Post by hlewton »

iCloud came out with an update for me today so I let it update. I realize this is an Apple product but I just got off a phone support call with them and the problem I am having seems to be related to Outlook. In the first attachment is the error dialog box I get when it told me I needed to reboot to complete the update. Before rebooting I checked my default email client and it is Outlook.

After rebooting it gave me the same message. So with the Apple support guiding me I checked the box in the second attachment saying “Set as default profile” but I did not uncheck the option to prompt for profile. Apparently Outlook did not accept the Outlook profile as the default because after checking again after restarting Outlook the dialog box was the same with that option unchecked.

Since Outlook is my default email client and since I run Outlook everyday what should I do to satisfy this dialog box I get from iCloud? If I have to uncheck that dialog box, “prompt for profile” how could I get it back if it just goes straight to the profile named “Outlook” which would be the default profile I would need? I don't think I need to tell it the default profile because iCloud's dialog box only mentions current mail client. Also as you can see from the third attachment, in iCloud's settings it seems to me, at least, that it does recognize Outlook as my default email client or am I missing something?

Thanks
Apple.jpg
Outlook.jpg
iCloud.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: iCloud and default Email Client

Post by JoeP »

Check your settings to see what is set as the default email client. Settings | Apps | Default apps.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Check your settings to see what is set as the default email client. Settings | Apps | Default apps.
Yes I have already done that and Outlook is the default.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you tried to repair your Office installation?
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Have you tried to repair your Office installation?
No because it has been fairly recently that a Microsoft technician uninstalled Office 32 Bit and then reinstalled 64 Bit Office 365 on this machine. I am wondering if it may have something to do with Office 365 now being 64 Bit because the same Apple iCloud software was just installed today on another of my computers that still has the 32 Bit Office 365 version on it and there was no problem at all. Do you agree with me that the error dialog box I get from iCloud does not specify that a certain profile needs to be the default only that Outlook itself has to be the default email client. Because if I am correct in my thinking, I will go back to Apple support and ask for second level support if necessary to figure this out.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Have you tried to repair your Office installation?
Well I got in touch with Apple support again and this time managed to talk to someone who knew what was going on. It appears that the fix was similar to many apps used on smart phones when problems happen. She had me uninstall iCloud and then reinstall it and all is well. She mentioned that cures a lot of problems when apps are not working correctly especially on smart phones but in this case on a Windows computer. In any case all seems to be working fine after following her instructions.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Well, glad you got it resolved.
Joe