Office 356 Outlook 2016 Changes Views On Its Own

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Office 356 Outlook 2016 Changes Views On Its Own

Post by hlewton »

Outlook 2016 seems to choose the view it wants at times. The view in the first attachment shows the “To Do Bar” Calendar on the right as I want it. Often times when I am working on people or some other part of Outlook and return the view in the second attachment is what I see. I have tried most suggestions I have found on the Internet, but nothing corrects this problem. BTW the way the machine I am talking about has had the 32 bit of Office 365 completely removed by a Microsoft technician and then loaded the 64 bit version. He completely deleted all references to Office 32 bit version in the Registry. Though this view problem was not the main reason he did all this, that fact is it was done and he said this should correct that problem but it did not. The same problem exists on my other machines that are still running Office 365 32 bit version. It’s not a big deal but still I am wondering why the view changes on its own and how, if any way, can I correct this?

Thanks
Wanted View.jpg
NotWantedView.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Office 356 Outlook 2016 Changes Views On Its Own

Post by JoeP »

Have you tried starting Outlook in safe mode? Run Outlook.exe /safe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Have you tried starting Outlook in safe mode? Run Outlook.exe /safe
No I haven't and I'm not sure it would tell me anything because this view changing doesn't always happen and I cannot make it happen if I wanted to test anything in the safe mode. It just does it when it wants to it seems. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try the following:

Quit Outlook.
Press Windows Key + R to activate the Run dialog.
Type the following:

outlook /resettodobar

Press Enter or click OK.
Set the to-do pane options the way you want.
Hopefully it will "stick".
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Try the following:

Quit Outlook.
Press Windows Key + R to activate the Run dialog.
Type the following:

outlook /resettodobar

Press Enter or click OK.
Set the to-do pane options the way you want.
Hopefully it will "stick".
Thank you. I will give that a try.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

hlewton wrote:Outlook 2016 seems to choose the view it wants at times....
Just an off the cuff comment here... your first attachment shows that you are in the View mode. Your second attachment shows that you are back in the Home mode after performing another task. What would happen if you click on the View mode after completing that other task? Are you back to where you want to be with the calendar showing?
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hmmm..., I don't think switching to a different tab on the ribbon should make any difference to the way the main window is viewed...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Hmmm..., I don't think switching to a different tab on the ribbon should make any difference to the way the main window is viewed...
Makes sense ... I was just taking a stab-in-the-dark. I am now trying to have my O365 display a similar look to see what happens when I perform switching tasks. Having some issues trying to get the calendar to show along with my message screen. Will report back when successful.
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
Just an off the cuff comment here... your first attachment shows that you are in the View mode. Your second attachment shows that you are back in the Home mode after performing another task. What would happen if you click on the View mode after completing that other task? Are you back to where you want to be with the calendar showing?
The only reason I was on the View Tab was to set the View back to what I wanted it to be, i.e. The To Do Bar - Calendar at the right side of my Outlook. When I get done with any task I always return to the Home Tab and when it is screwed up I go to the View Tab as you took note of.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

hlewton wrote:
BobArch2 wrote:
The only reason I was on the View Tab was to set the View back to what I wanted it to be, i.e. The To Do Bar - Calendar at the right side of my Outlook. When I get done with any task I always return to the Home Tab and when it is screwed up I go to the View Tab as you took note of.
Tried emulating your situation and cannot get it to go wrong. I added the To-Do and Calendar to my right hand reading pane. Then went to the Contacts area, perform some maintenance and then went back to the Mail page and all was well.

I have been running the subscription model of Office 365 since 2013 and currently have v16.0.11629.20238 - 32bit (running on a 64bit PC).

Sorry I couldn't help...
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:Tried emulating your situation and cannot get it to go wrong. I added the To-Do and Calendar to my right hand reading pane. Then went to the Contacts area, perform some maintenance and then went back to the Mail page and all was well.

I have been running the subscription model of Office 365 since 2013 and currently have v16.0.11629.20238 - 32bit (running on a 64bit PC).

Sorry I couldn't help...
Thanks for trying. I am hoping Hans' suggestion will work but I do think I tried it before. I may be wrong but I don't recall having this problem when I was running Office 365 with the 2013 version of Office. Also my problem does not happen every time I preform another task. I just does it occasionally and I cannot make it do it if I wanted to demonstrate it. I had thought of posting about this a few days ago but had to wait that long for it to act up so I could get screen shots to explain what I was talking about.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I'm not sure why the view randomly changes and I've personally never come across the issue, but something else you can try is to "save the current view and a new view". Whether it will stop this behaviour or not is to be seen, but it's just my 2 cents suggestion.

First, set up the view as you want it to be.
Then from the View ribbon, click the Change View button and choose "Save Current View As a New View".
Give it a name and choose All Mail and Post folders.
See if the view is more stable now.
(If it does randomly change again, just reselect the view you saved in View > Change View)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Did you mean "Save Current View As a New View"?
S2731.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:Did you mean "Save Current View As a New View"?
Yes, I meant that and updated my post.

TX :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:I'm not sure why the view randomly changes and I've personally never come across the issue, but something else you can try is to "save the current view and a new view". Whether it will stop this behaviour or not is to be seen, but it's just my 2 cents suggestion.

First, set up the view as you want it to be.
Then from the View ribbon, click the Change View button and choose "Save Current View As a New View".
Give it a name and choose All Mail and Post folders.
See if the view is more stable now.
(If it does randomly change again, just reselect the view you saved in View > Change View)
Thanks I just did as you said so we will see if it works. The confusing thing to me is not only that my view does sometimes change, and I have found evidence on the Internet that it happens to others, but that it happens to me on multiple computers. Not sure what the common thread could be.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Do you access your account on mobile devices and maybe change or tweak the view slightly for the smaller screen?
Maybe this affects the view when you open Outlook on your PC.

Just a thought.
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Do you access your account on mobile devices and maybe change or tweak the view slightly for the smaller screen?
Maybe this affects the view when you open Outlook on your PC.

Just a thought.
No I never use any mobile devise for email. I use only desktop or laptop computers.
Regards,
hlewton