Outlook is not remembering my MS Exchange credentials

jmt356
SilverLounger

Outlook is not remembering my MS Exchange credentials

Post by jmt356 »

Microsoft Outlook 2010 is constantly causing a pop-up to appear asking for the User name and Password of my MS Exchange account. I enter my password, tick Remember my credentials, and then click OK. Within a few seconds, the window pops up again requesting my Password and displaying 14 circles, which I believe indicates that there is a 14-digit password that is stored. I enter the correct password, which is not 14 digits, tick Remember my credentials, and then click OK. The window again pops up, against with 14 circles in the Password field, as though it is not accepting and transmitting my correct password and instead displaying a 14-digit password.

I went into Windows Credential Manager to clear the credentials for this account, but it did not help. The above pattern continues.

How can I get Outlook to accept, transmit and store/remember my correct password?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook is not remembering my MS Exchange credentials

Post by HansV »

Is your account open in another mail client? For example, if I look at the email account provided by my ISP using the webmail interface, then log in to the same account in Outlook, it keeps on prompting me for a password.

(The number of circles/asterisks/whatever in a password box is usually not relevant.)
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I am only accessing my account in Outlook.

Doesn't the fact that a pop-up is displaying showing 14 characters mean that Outlook is storing a 14-character password?
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

jmt356 wrote:Doesn't the fact that a pop-up is displaying showing 14 characters mean that Outlook is storing a 14-character password?
I would like to think that any and all displays of hidden passwords did not show the same number of characters as my password. If it was an accurate representation of the number of characters, then any hacker knows the length of your password, and so can forget about trying permutations of eight characters, nine characters, 10 characters, etc.
Leif

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Most of time, when this happens it is a issue with the email server at the time of logging in.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living