To entered twice, what is this field and do
Do I need to enter any thing else apart from
My name and email addreds

HansV
Administrator

Re: installing Office 2016

Post by HansV »

That is for setting up Outlook.
Do you plan to use Outlook as your email program?
If so, you need to enter the email address of the account you want to use, its password and a display name. Outlook will then try to figure out the rest for you.
If you do NOT plan to use Outlook, you can skip that part.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

Yes I want to use Outlook. What password can I use for this

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The password that belongs to the email account that you want to use.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

How do I find out the password that belongs to the email account

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Uhh - you must have set the password when you obtained the email account from the email provider; after that it is your own responsibility to remember it and perhaps store it in a safe place. From your question, I gather that you don't remember the password.
The provider usually has a way of resetting the password, but for that, you must be able to prove that you are the owner of the email account. Sometimes, this is done by providing answers to some questions that you provided to them when you got the account, for example the maiden name of your mother, or the license number of your first car. It's also possible that you have given them an alternative email address that you can use for this purpose; this only works if you can receive emails on that address of course.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

When I had an email with a service provider that that email had part of the service providers name embedded in it. I then decided to not use that ISP or any other but instead to use an alternative way of using Outlook which required My Name, a new Rail address and a password to access Outlook. I thought I had remembered it..

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

You said earlier if didn't want to use Outlook, there are other alternatives, what are they?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A popular alternative is Mozilla Thunderbird (free from the makers of Firefox), but just like Outlook, it requires you to specify an email address and the password that belongs to it. So if you don't remember the password of your current account, and aren't able to retrieve or reset it, you won't be able to use Thunderbird either... :sad:

You can easily get a new free webmail account at Google's Gmail - it comes with 15 GB storage, and you can access it from any device (PC, laptop, tablet, smartphone). Another free webmail provider is Microsoft's Outlook.com (not to be confused with Outlook!)
Best wishes,
Hans

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

Is there a reset password option? Seems there isn't oneh

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

So there does not seem to be a way to get a forgotten password. You would think MS would provide this, everyone else seems to.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What kind of email address is it? @outlook.com or @hotmail.com (both are from Microsoft)? Or something else?
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I think that you might have misunderstood how this all works.

In order to send and receive email you need three things.
  1. An internet connection. This might be included with your mobile phone, or it could be a broadband contract for your home internet, or you could just use free WiFi in coffee shops. The internet connection lets you browse the web, and connect to other internet services such as email or file sharing.
  2. An email account. This provides you with an email address and a place to receive and store emails. It may be included with your broadband contract, but it may be something completely separate. There are lots of free email accounts (such as outlook.com or gmail), but others you have to pay for. The organization that provides your email account gives you a username and password that lets you access the email. If you forget your password then you need to ask the organization that provides your email account to reset it for you.
  3. An email client. This is software that you run on a phone, tablet or PC to access your email. Examples are Outlook or Thunderbird. Most email accounts also allow you to just use a web browser. You need to tell the email client all about your email account so that it can log in and collect the mail for you. The client does not provide the username or password, it just stores them ready to use.
If you have forgotten the password for your email then Microsoft could only help you if you are using a Microsoft provided email account, such as Outlook.com
StuartR

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

My email address AccessSolutions@live.com.au, it seems like 3rd option of Stuarts

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Pat. You must have ALL THREE of my options.

live.com.au is a microsoft provided email service.
If you navigate to https://live.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and click on the Sign in button then it will ask for your email address.
You can enter AccessSolutions@live.com.au and then click next and you will find a "Forgotten my password" link.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR