difficulty logging in

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

difficulty logging in

Post by Dave Davison »

Suddenly for no apparent reason when I try to access my Outlook account it refuses to open. After multiple attempts I gave up and resorted to GMX.com an alternative email platform which never fails. Then all of a sudden multiple icons appear on the taskbar so it obviously goes through the motions but can take many minutes. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this anomaly please. As most of my correspondences with utilities, insurances etc, are done with Outlook as the main platform so any help to rectify this will be most helpful. A second issue is that I tried to send an email with a rather big attachment but it refused to send so I imagine it was too big BUT I can't delete it either so it annoyingly remains in my "Out" box.:scratch: :thankyou: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: difficulty logging in

Post by HansV »

Try the steps outlined in Delete large messages stuck in the Outbox.
See if Outlook starts normally again after that.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Sorry Hans for late reply, tried the first method but did not have the success I envisaged so tried the "Off-line" method which worked just great and though not instant, opening Outlook is now as it was originally. Computing is surely a continuous learning curve when mistakes are made but thanks to forums like this one, the remedy is often just a few clicks away. There are some appropriate emmoticons for most occasions but I found this one which really expresses my appreciation. :thankyou: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

WOW! Dave,

That SMILEY reminds me of this!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

ALAS ......access to Outlook was short lived, This last couple of days I have been getting a few emails saying emails - supposedly from my computer but which I did not send as I don't know the recipients addresses listed -could not be delivered. Then today I got something like twenty such "Failed to deliver messages" and now when I try to log on to Outlook, the attached screen shot message persistently appears on screen despite putting a tick in the "Save" box then clicking
the OK tab. I just ran Avira & Windows Defender which found nothing adverse. Looks like someone has compromised my address so what can I do to rectify this issue please? :scratch: :thankyou: Dave.

ps Not being able to access Outlook, I will not receive notice of a reply so will just log on to the lounge till - hopefully - I see an answer...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

First, try creating a new email profile: see How to Create a New Profile.

If that doesn't help, you might contact NTLWorld (your provider, I assume) to reset your account password.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Your email address has been spoofed and there is NOT much one can but wait or use a different email address.

I have been hit a few time and only lasted for a few days.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gents, I do in fact have an alternative email provider [GMX,com] which is easy and reliable so am using that till the smoke clears but think I will change the password so as not to have to inform al my contacts of a changed address. Thanks again Dave.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

When being spoofed, the spoofer does NOT access your email server, they just manage to make it appear that the message came from that server.

See https://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/d ... l-spoofing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Email spoofing is the forgery of an email header so that the message appears to have originated from someone or somewhere other than the actual source. Email spoofing is a tactic used in phishing and spam campaigns because people are more likely to open an email when they think it has been sent by a legitimate source. The goal of email spoofing is to get recipients to open, and possibly even respond to, a solicitation.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living