Outlook 365/2016

silverback
5StarLounger

Outlook 365/2016

Post by silverback »

I have finally bought a new PC and am now on Windows 10. I used to use Office 2003 and Windows XP.
In Outlook 2003, I had set up multiple profiles, so my wife's emails went to a completely separate .pst file to my emails. Obviously, there was a need to choose which profile was used when opening Outlook.

I can't find the equivalent way to achieve this in Outlook 2016. Having added my wife's email details, it seems that her emails and folders are appended to my mailbox, much in the way that it happened if, in Outlook 2003, I added an additional .pst file to my mailbox.

Is it possible in Outlook 2016 to achieve the effect of separate profiles in Outlook 2003, please?

Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook 365/2016

Post by HansV »

Click the Windows Start button.
Type control panel and press Enter.
Type mail in the search box in the upper right of the Control Panel.
Open the "Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016) (32-bit)" control panel.
Click Show Profiles...
Click Add... to create a new profile.
When you're done, select 'Prompt for a profile to be used' under 'When starting Outlook, use this profile'.
S2316.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Hans
Success! Hope you have a sweet tooth.

Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Next problem. I let Outlook create the mail accounts and it has created an IMAP account but chosen to leave the emails on the server even though they are downloaded to my PC. I know there is an account option to untick so that downloading removes the email from the server but I cannot find a route to this menu. How is it done, please. I am using Office 365.

Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

"Leave a copy of messages on the server" is only available for POP3 accounts. Messages are always left on the server for IMAP accounts.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

silverback wrote:... it has created an IMAP account but chosen to leave the emails on the server even though they are downloaded to my PC. I know there is an account option to untick so that downloading removes the email from the server but I cannot find a route to this menu.
I don't think you can opt to delete the emails from your server with IMAP - that is the same as deleting them permanently.

(See What are IMAP and POP? )
Leif

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

More problems. Having had to get a replacement PC, I am trying to set up Outlook profiles again as per the help given above. However, when I follow Hans' instructions (type Mail in the top right hand search box of Control Panel) the system says "No items match your search". What's different about this PC compared to the previous one? How can I set up profiles now?
All other Office 365 apps are working OK.
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Can you start Outlook? If so, select Info > Account Settings > Manage Profiles.
S2340.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you can't start Outlook yet, start File Explorer (formerly Windows Explorer) and navigate to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16

Locate and double-click MLCFG32.CPL
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Thanks, again, Hans
Have finally got Outlook profiles working. Even though Outlook 365 is up and running and we are receiving and sending emails, there is still no entry in Control Panel about Mail.
Our new, new PC is exactly the same model and spec as the one we had to return - but it's behaving differently, quite markedly in some cases, from the returned one. Weird.
Silverback

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Why not just make her a separate Windows user account and then she can keep her things the way she wants them.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you can't find the Mail control panel applet that sounds like your Office installation may be corrupt. Perhaps you should try a repair. Go to Settings | Apps | Apps & Features. Select Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus. Click the "Modify" button. Then I'd try the Quick repair first. If that does not work then the Online repair.
Joe

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

JoeP wrote:If you can't find the Mail control panel applet that sounds like your Office installation may be corrupt. Perhaps you should try a repair. Go to Settings | Apps | Apps & Features. Select Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus. Click the "Modify" button. Then I'd try the Quick repair first. If that does not work then the Online repair.
Joe
I don't have the option you say to select. See attached photo, please. But I am definitely running Office 365 products.
Silverback

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Perhaps it is "Microsoft Office Desktop Apps". Microsoft has a way of changing names for apparently no good reason.
Joe

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

A quick post to say a big :thankyou: to all who have tried to help in my previous postings.
Yesterday Outlook went daft which convinced me that things were corrupted. I eventually found a Microsoft Support site about Office 365 which said that my Office 365 was being used by two PCs - my current one and the one that had to be returned. Now the salesperson who sold me Office 365 originally said swapping was very easy. When I logged in using the 365 keycode, I would be offered the chance to deactivate the previous installation. That didn't happen, presumably because MS has now allowed Office 365 Home to be used on up to 5 PCs. Anyway, I deactivated the old version, and then, mistakenly, took the Install option (which I thought was going to activate it on the current PC). 90 minutes later I got a message saying Office 365 was successfully installed. Of course, all Outlook profiles disappeared but hey ho, I've had so much practice setting these up that it didn't take long to reintroduce them all. All appear to Send and Receive emails successfully. I trust that now they are there, I will not have to use them!
Following this, I can confirm that a Mail icon has appeared in Control Panel, (which I used to set up the profiles) and there is now a Microsoft Office 365 entry in Settings | Apps | Apps & Features as JoeP suggested.
So, without tempting providence, it appears that the PC is now on a level footing. :clapping:
So, thanks again.
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that!
Best wishes,
Hans