Change name of MS Exchange Account displayed in tree view

jmt356
SilverLounger

Change name of MS Exchange Account displayed in tree view

Post by jmt356 »

I have an MS Exchange Server email address whose name displays as my email address in the MS Outlook tree view on the left (e.g., “jmt@...”). However, the name I have given the account in the General tab of the Microsoft Exchange dialogue window under More Settings under Server Settings is different (e.g., “Work Email”). How can I get the name of the account that displays in the tree view on the left to correspondence to the name I gave the account in the General Tab of the Microsoft Exchange dialogue window?

When I right-click the account in the Outlook tree view on the left and select Data File Properties, I get a pop-up with the email address listed. When I try to delete the address and type in the name I want displayed, nothing happens.

Is it possible to cause a MS Exchange account to display a name other than the email address associated with the account?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Change name of MS Exchange Account displayed in tree vie

Post by HansV »

What happens if you click Advanced... in the Data File Properties dialog? Can you edit the name in the dialog that then appears?
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I right-clicked the Exchange account in my tree view and selected Data File Properties. Under General, my email address is displayed, which is also the name of the account that shows up in my tree view. When I put my cursor into the field that contains my email address, I am unable to change it to display the name I want to give to the account (e.g., “Work Email”). I am unable to type in the field that contains the email address.

When I click on Advanced, a window appears that show the following:
- Microsoft Exchange Service (this field cannot be edited)
- Mailbox (this field contains the email address and cannot be edited)

Joe:

The links you provided discuss how to change the name of the account that shows up in File | Account Settings | Email tab. I have the right name displayed there. However, I want to change the name of the account that shows up in my Outlook tree view. The name that shows up is my email address; I want to change it to “Work Email.”
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think you can change the title of an Exchange account.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Is the name of an Exchange account in the tree view always the email address? That is problematic when you have multiple email accounts whose email addresses start with the same first letter and you are trying to navigate with the keyboard. Changing the first letter of each account would enable you to navigate through the various email accounts much more efficiently.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know a solution, but I'm not an expert on Exchange accounts in Outlook.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The second link in my 23 July post says you must use MFCMAPI to change an Exchange account name. See https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/ren ... tm#mfcmapi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Joe