Connecting to a new account with Outlook 365

StuartR
Administrator

Connecting to a new account with Outlook 365

Post by StuartR »

The latest version of Office 365 has a simplified set of dialog boxes for connecting to a new email account.

I have an account with different usernames, and different passwords, for POP3 and SMTP access. The usernames are also both different to the email address.

I can modify an existing account to access this mailbox correctly, but when I try to set up a new account the dialog boxes don't have enough options, and the setup always fails.

Any suggestions?
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Re: Connecting to a new account with Outlook 365

Post by HansV »

Can you select 'Advanced Options' below the email address, then tick 'Let me setup my account manually'?
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See "Use advanced setup to add a POP or IMAP email account in Outlook for PC" at Add an email account to Outlook.
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Yes, I have used the advanced settings. You still can't set username, password and encryption options for incoming and outgoing servers independently. I can do it for any existing email account, but I can't create a new one from scratch. I guess I will have to create a very standard POP3 account somewhere that I can use for account creation, and then I'll be able to create my accounts and modify them as I need!
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Weird!
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have sorted this, but it was really difficult. The default username is your email address, and you don't get an opportunity to change it in the dialog boxes. You are only prompted to enter one password. When it generates a login error you are prompted with the normal Outlook invalid password box and you can change the username and password for POP3, it then immediately shows a nearly identical error message where you can enter the username and password for SMTP.

That really is not easy.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I sounds like an attempt by Microsoft to over-simplify it, actually making it more difficult for all but the most standard setups...
Best wishes,
Hans