Suspicious emails from someone mimicking my Outlook contact

jmt356
SilverLounger

Suspicious emails from someone mimicking my Outlook contact

Post by jmt356 »

Someone has created email addresses from various domains using the name of one of my email contacts. They have taken the name of the person and created email addresses as follows: FirstName.LastName@domains.com.

I am not sure how they figured out that the person being impersonated is one of my contacts.

So far, I have gotten 2 or 3 emails from this person(s), all from the same email address, but the domain is different for each one.

Each email has a link in it, which I assume would cause a harmful file to download on my computer if I click on it.

It does not seem I could overcome this issue by simply marking the email in question as junk; the sender appears to be using different domains and will likely continue to do so, so new emails will come through with different domains. Is canceling my current email account and opening a new one the only way to stop receiving emails from this person?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Suspicious emails from someone mimicking my Outlook cont

Post by HansV »

Wouldn't getting a new email address be a nuisance? You'd have to inform all your (genuine) contacts...
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Suspicious emails from someone mimicking my Outlook cont

Post by Jay Freedman »

Sounds familiar -- about once a month I get an email with my sister's name and a variable domain in Russia. I'm pretty sure she's never been there. :grin:

Make a rule that says "If the email header contains FirstName.LastName, move it to the Junk folder and stop processing". When an email shows up in the Junk folder, you can open it and see whether it's really from your contact or is spoofed. Any URL or active content in an email in the Junk folder is disabled, so it's safer than opening the item in any other folder.