Office 365 Outlook 2016 Distribution List Issue

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Office 365 Outlook 2016 Distribution List Issue

Post by BobArch2 »

I am currently running Office 365 1710 Build 8625.2121 released November 2, 2017 and automatically updated around that time. Since that time I have had an issue with a distribution list in Outlook.

I have a Contact Group (a.k.a. distribution list) containing about 25 email addresses. The Contact Group is called - "Group". When creating a new message I would enter a "To" address called Undisclosed Recipient (containing my email address) and enter the distribution list called Group in the Bcc box. Prior to the November 2 update, Outlook would automatically find the distribution list and populate the box with:
2017-11-12_13-26-47.png
After the November update, Outlook does not automatically find the distribution list. After entering the name Group, I have to click on the Check Name box which brings up the contact list where I can select the Group distribution list and all is well. Those extra steps are a pain, to put it mildly.

The questions become... 1) has anyone else noticed this issue and 2) were you able to come up with a solution?

I did try deleting the old list and rebuilding it but that did not resolve the problem.

Any and all suggestions will be considered! :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Re: Office 365 Outlook 2016 Distribution List Issue

Post by HansV »

I have build Build 8625.2121 in click-to-run Office 2016; it is not Office 365 however. For me, Outlook still recognizes a distribution list in the Bcc (or Cc or To) box automatically after a second or two. I can't find any other mention of your problem...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:I have build Build 8625.2121 in click-to-run Office 2016; it is not Office 365 however. For me, Outlook still recognizes a distribution list in the Bcc (or Cc or To) box automatically after a second or two. I can't find any other mention of your problem...
Thanks Hans.

I did spend some time Goggling the issue and could find nothing.
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

I tried two approaches.

1) a quick repair to Office 365... took about 2 minutes and did not resolve the issue.
2) a full repair which entailed downloading and installing a fresh copy of Office 365. Took about 10-12 minutes. Did not resolve the issue.

Will continue to search for a solution.

(A check of the Control Panel | Programs and Features showed that the November 2, 2017 release was performed November 7. It now reflects today's date as the install)
Regards,
Bob

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you checked your options to see that "Automatic name checking" is selected?
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I prefix all Contact Groups (Distribution list) with a UNDER SCORE, which put them at the top of the list, and I can find them right away.

I am using Office 365 version 1710 2625.2121 (BOB has 8625.2121) and I do not have this issue, but of course I leave the "to" blank and always have.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

JoeP wrote:Have you checked your options to see that "Automatic name checking" is selected?
"Automatic name checking" was selected. Thinking it might need a reset, I unchecked it, clicked OK, exited Outlook and got back in. For giggles I tried the distribution list again, no resolve (as expected). Then checked the item and restarted Outlook. Same result.

Then in the same Options panel I selected the "Empty Auto-Complete List", clicked OK, exited Outlook and got back in. Tried again and as expected, I had to run the Check Names feature to get at the Address Book. Sent the message and exited Outlook. Got back in and tried again. The previously used "To" address automatically populated but the distribution did not automatically populate. I had to again run Check Names.

P.S. Before performing the above tasks, I ran SCANPST.EXE and it logged many errors. After running the scan there was still no automatic name checking.
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

DaveA wrote:I prefix all Contact Groups (Distribution list) with a UNDER SCORE, which put them at the top of the list, and I can find them right away.
I am assuming by your comment about you finding them right away that you had to run Check Names and the list was not "automatically name checked"?
I am using Office 365 version 1710 2625.2121 (BOB has 8625.2121) and I do not have this issue, but of course I leave the "to" blank and always have.
Strange about the 2625 vs 8625 difference. My subscription of Office 365 is the "Home" version (5 installs). Might that be the difference between the build numbers?
Regards,
Bob

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

My error, now that I have taken a second and a third look, mine is 8626. :blush:

I have been using Outlook since Outlook 95 when it first came out, and never knew about this check names and it is checked so it must have been by default some time since 1995.
Outlook 95 CD was a FREEBE that was given out at a lot of the MS rep's that were visiting the different Computer groups and clubs. I think at one time I had 10 of the CD's and was sharing them with others that did not attend any of the groups and clubs.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Bob, I have the same build as you, but in Office 365 ProPlus. I created a contact group named Group in the Contacts list, and the BCC field automatically recognized it after two or three seconds.

When I tried to create the group in the Address Book, I wasn't allowed to proceed; contact groups are allowed only in Contacts.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

I have spent a fair amount of time over the last two days trying all sorts of actions to see if I could resolve my issues. I will not detail all the various actions I tried since you will no doubt fall asleep reading all the items then your head will hit the keyboard causing all sorts of unwanted results. I cannot and will not allow that to happen! :grin:

However, moments ago, I found this.

Eureka, I am not alone. I will cast my vote with the other 100+ frustrated users! :hairout:

Good thing I am retired and have a lot of time to wrestle with these issues! :fanfare:

[Edited to correct the number of people reporting the issue of Contact Groups.]
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good find! Thanks for voting.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Are you using Contacts or the Address Book that was brought into Outlook from your Outlook Express days?

If, address book, then that just may be the problem.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

DaveA wrote:Are you using Contacts or the Address Book that was brought into Outlook from your Outlook Express days?

If, address book, then that just may be the problem.
I have never used Outlook Express. My use of Office started with Office XP Professional using Outlook 2002 and I have upgraded to every full release of Office since those days. I cannot recall exactly when I started using distribution lists but know that it goes back for over 10 years. The current issue with Contact Groups started with the current build released November 2, 2017 and auto-installed November 7, 2017. I subscribed and installed Office 365 Home Premium December 7, 2013. Nary a problem with Contact Groups in Office 365 until the last update.

One of the attempted corrective steps I took during the past week was to remove and rebuild my Group list using the Contracts file and not Address Book.

Still open for suggestions and thanks for your input. :thankyou:
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

After posting the above I started shutting down the system and was advised that an update to my environment was in progress. It got to the 30% stage and instead of an automatic restart, it shut off.

I powered on and it went from that 30% to 100%. I checked the Update History and there was nothing posted. So decide to log into Outlook and checked for updates. One update was available for Office 365 1710 - build 8625.2127. After the install I checked for the issue I was having and it is not resolved.

Here's the Monthly Channel information for both Office 2016 and Office 365 build 8625.2127 release date of November 14, 2017.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft has acknowledged the problem: Outlook 2016 Auto-Complete for Contact Groups Not Working (see the replies by Microsoft employees further down)
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Microsoft has acknowledged the problem: Outlook 2016 Auto-Complete for Contact Groups Not Working (see the replies by Microsoft employees further down)
Thanks Hans. Hopefully MS will provide relief soon. The users posting in the link I showed in the Posting above is also growing.

There were also changes made to the Recent list. When starting to type in a name a Recent list will pop up showing a photo (if available) of the user and is limited to 5 items in the Recent display. Unlike in the past when the Recent list seemed endless. One of the tests I performed a few days ago was to rebuild the Recent list from scratch. I selected all 382 of my contacts and posted their email address in the To box. Unfortunately, I clicked on Send instead of Discard. Got a nasty reply back from a few folks including Gmail. :bash:
[Edited to correct the post number]
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Oh, forgot to mention, when I closed the session after creating that big Recent list, it did not stick. No addresses appeared in a subsequent login. :scratch:
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Problem pertaining to Contact Group as described above has been resolved. There was a new build released yesterday, 1710 Build 8625.2132. The description shown for that release says nothing about Contact Groups. But, who cares, problem solved! :grin:

Now if they would only allow more that 5 items in the Recent list that would be great. :smile:
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the update.
Best wishes,
Hans