Lasting visible notification of email

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Lasting visible notification of email

Post by Peter Kinross »

In outlook 2010 I have one email address that is hardly ever used, so I don't check it, but I absolutely need to know if an email does indeed arrive.
I have set a desktop alert to show when an email arrives, but it says it will only show for 30 seconds. In actual fact that notification does not show at all, let alone for 30 seconds.
I need a visible notification that will stay on screen until I remove it, but ONLY for the specified email address.
Any ideas on how to achieve this?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Lasting visible notification of email

Post by Rudi »

Hi Peter,

Is your email accounts on an Exchange Server?

It is possible to show to accounts in the navigation window of Outlook, and this will make it quite easy to switch between and also visible to see if email is available in an account due to the unread email counters displayed. Maybe this setup process can be of use; but it depends on an exchange environment.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Peter Kinross wrote:In outlook 2010 I have one email address that is hardly ever used, so I don't check it, but I absolutely need to know if an email does indeed arrive.
Isn't it simply a matter of setting up a rule to forward any emails to the account you don't check often to one that you do?
Leif

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Pretty simple solution. Thanks Leif.
Do you know of any way to flag the moved emails?
The setting below doesn't result in the moved message being flagged.
OutlookRule.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Peter Kinross on 13 Oct 2017, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Set up a rule that says "when an email arrives from <other account>, mark it as Important and/or move it to a specific folder". There may be some other actions you'll find useful. Unfortunately, Outlook doesn't offer one for "reach out and tap me on the shoulder."

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Jay, I thought that I had done that - sort of.
Below is the page before the one I have already posted.
OutlookRule1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I think that instead of checking the "through the specified account" box, you want to check the "from people or public group" box. In the "Edit the rule description" area, put in the account that's doing the forwarding (it will have to be in your contacts list for this).

Because of the forwarding, this rule has no access to the address that originally sent the email, but only the address of your account that first received it and then forwarded it.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Jay.
I tried that before but couldn't complete the rule because not in the Contacts list (as you observed). I put it in Contacts and changed the rule.
Forwards just as before, but still doesn't get flagged.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Arrrgh. Have I mentioned that my expertise is in Word, not in Outlook? Maybe Hans or Rudi will be able to help more than I can.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I tested the following settings from my gmail account to my inbox on my work exchange account. It worked as intended with all the alerts and flags.

When the gmail message arrived in my inbox, it got flagged (for reminder) and (besides a popup[ desktop alert - which disappears after 30 seconds), I also set an alert message that shows in a window with action buttons.
Image 030.jpg
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.